New use for a bobbin

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

I've never seen this before! This photo was attached to a blog written by master pipe tobacco blender G.L. Pease. On one pipe smoking social media group I'm in, people asked "What is that thing laying across the stem of the pipe!?"
A fly tying bobbin spooled with hemp wick! Brilliant. I'm gonna try it. Anyway, pipe smokers or not, I thought you all would get a kick out of the photo.

Screen Shot 2022 12 09 at 81903 AM

When I was a kid a cigarette led to my first decent sized brown on a dry. I was fishing at a popular spot below a dam one day as a teenager and being an inexperienced fly fisherman I got skunked as usual and returned to a spot by the head race where people congregated to swap lies. It being the 60's, most guys were taking a smoke break. One guy flicked his butt into the race and a good sized trout eased out from a crack in the concrete race wall, ate the butt and eased back in. No one else noticed. I quickly put on a dry, drifted it by the crack and was soon on a 16" brown - my first decent trout on a dry.

I just realized I posted that photo in the wrong thread, I meant to post it in "What About the Hook?" so I deleted it from here since it was entirely OT.

D'oh! :unsure:

That’s fantastic squatch!!
I have a ton of bobbin holders.
I think a bobbin of wick material, loaded into a bobbin holder,would be very handy for lots of things besides lighting a pipe .
Good for lighting campfires , candles in jars, the old Coleman stove, etc.
great idea

Back