New Tyer - Material

sroach

sroach

Any suggestions for someone that is just starting off tying flies?

Would a fly fishing show be the best way to get started on buying all materials needed?

sroach wrote:

Would a fly fishing show be the best way to get started on buying all materials needed?

This would work fine as most shows have several vendors selling tying materials.

Frankly, a trip to your local fly shop or even big box store should easily get you started as there should be someone there able to help (certainly in a conventional fly shop).

I would refrain from buying one of the newbie starter fly tying kits (although this has worked well fro others).

The first step is to raid the sewing box in your home .
Also ,make note of friends who sew,hunt,knit ,or crochet.

If you tell us what flies you use most,we can tell you the material to get .

Any suggestions for someone that is just starting off tying flies?

The first step would be to buy some basic tools to get you get started:

Vise - bobbin - scissors - hackle pliers - whip finisher

The vise need not to be any fancy or costly, just something to hold the hook firmly

Next needed would be hooks and thread. Hooks can be costly. I suggest you buy a pack or two of hooks that can be used for the first flies you are looking to tie. You can add to your hook collection later on.

Last are the materials to tie a fly. Pick one or two simple flies to tie, buy the hooks and materials needed to tie them and practice tying those flies.

You can Google up a video showing all the materials and instructions for tying just about any fly.

I suggest you start with tying a wooly bugger. The tying video is embedded below.

Good luck.

Id make these suggestions, dont buy a starter kit , its full of fluff , buy according to the patterns you wanna tie , dont get caught up in alot of other stuff .... stick to the steak , not the sizzle . And buy good scissors and a whip finisher . Also dont go cheap on the hooks you dont wanna learn the hardway that your hooks straighten out if you catch a trout over 15inches .Also listen to people this site , other tyers , youtube all great places to gain knowledge about buying necks or hooks or anything tying related

Thanks guys,

Picked out a vide and all the tools I would like to buy. It's the materials that seem to get over whelming when you start looking at all of them.

I think the idea of pick some flies I want to tie and take the material list with me and buy that stuff and keep adding on as I pick new flies.

Is that a sane way of doing it?

$2000 in and you still won't have enough materials.

Don't get caught up on specific materials in a recipe. Most can be substituted with another basic material.

A few packs of dubbing, a pheasant tail or clump, some beads, wire, mallard flank, and a sheet of foam and you will be able to tie a lot of productive flies. Good dry fly hackle is a good decision too.

Starting with materials for a couple/few patterns you fish most is a great way to start. No need to buy much to start - before you know it you will be knee deep in tying stuff.

Wooly bugger is a great place to start. Zebra midges are super simple, and pheasant tails are another good starter pattern. These are all simple to tie and catch fish. Plus, the materials you need for these flies are simple to pick out. When you get to dry fly necks then you need to know a little more to pick out a good one. But, you should have a little experience before you tackle them.

Keep the thread color choices simple. For 4 decades I kept the choices to black and tan. Tan is a good neutral color that will go with almost any pattern. Now I have a box of different colored threads and I'm not sure I'm catching any more fish. The Dettes used to tie with white and use markers to color the thread at the head, or where needed.

JeffK,

You pretty much nailed the list I was thinking minus the Walts Worm.

Thanks guys.

I created a workshop for the FFI that was used at the Fly Fishing Fair in Livingston Montana

https://youtu.be/UuvzZSU5o6M

This is a 35 min video that goes over fly tying tools, what the flies are imitating and how to tie a Woolly Bugger and Elk Hair Caddis.

fly tying lessons

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 35+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)
22. beads its the rage in fly tying to bead this or bead that. its totally not necessary but its your choice to add a bead or not

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

"The vice, bobbin holder, scissors and materials are fundamental."

for an absolute beginner, what more is really needed? those 4 items will tie hundreds of flies if not more.

This link shows all the fly tying videos presented by Tight Line Video. Start watching the ones that cover the flies you want to tie. This is the same series recommended above by Afishinado.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIdIkp_uBiYEw-Pb4-BDBjw

Here's an outline I did about a yr ago on some basic flies:

Below are the most common and basic four flies to start off with. For anything you can not buy locally, refer to the links for JStockard, a very popular Internet source for materials

Buy some: nymph hooks (size 10, 12 & 14); beads in gold and copper (size 1/8 & 7/64); round wire for weight (size 015).

Greenie Weenie
Fluorescent green fine chenille
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-chenille-fine

Walt’s Worm
Hare’s ear plus dubbing:
Assorted dispenser:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-dubbing-dispensers-with-12-colors or single pack in hare’s ear or hare’s dark:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-hares-ear-plus-dubbing

Pheasant Tail Nymph
Pheasant Tail in natural or brown:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-ringneck-pheasant-complete-tail
Peacock herl:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-strung-peacock-herl

Hare’s Ear Nymph

Dubbing see the link below walt’s worm

If you are a member, contact your local TU chapter. Most offer beginner fly tying classes. That is how I became interested in tying. I only fish with flies I tie. Also, your local fly shop will often have fly tying classes or demonstrations.

I am also offering a class through Bucks County Community College 7 week course
starting Thursdays at 7:30PM Feb 22nd through May 5th.

www.bucks.edu/enrichment or call 215-968-8409
course number RCEGN 6409 C01

contact me for more information
jerry_coviello@verizon.net

Back