New tyer & a question

A

a23fish

So after two beginner classes and a lot of videos, I am becoming familiar with but not exactly proficient at tying egg patterns & zebra midges. I am satisfied my technique is improving and every session I learn something new. For example, this afternoon I learned that you should not let the small silver wire get off the spool without keeping tension on the main part of the wire that you are not immediately using.

Although I thought I was just freeing the tag end so I could pull off about 8" or so, I did not have control over the rest of the spooled wire. Which sprang off the spool like a nuclear Slinky and unwound about 2/3 of the wire in a nice big tangled coil on the floor next to me. And I thought untangling two nymphs on light tippet was time consuming. I did say a few bad words and eventually get almost all of it back on the spool. but lesson learned.

I also found that I really like one of the two bobbins I "inherited" and dislike the other. The one I like is 4.5" long, has a lined thread tube, maintains great tension, and the only marking I could find on it is a DRT marking on the spindle ends, with the R & T joined together. Anyone know who made this bobbin and if it is still made?

The one I don't like is 5.75" long, has a very short thread tube, doesn't maintain much tension from the brass color ball ends, and is unmarked. Both are probably at least 15-20 years old, if not older. I may need to look for another bobbin since i much prefer the shorter one and even at my beginner stage found it handy to keep two bobbins spooled with different colored thread.

On the plus side, I tied 10 zebra midges today in two colors, and they look much better than the first two I tied at my beginner class. And I can use the whip finish tool properly at least 3/4 of the time. I have lots to learn...

learning to tie your own flys is as much fun as learning to fly fish. have fun with it. nothing beats catching your first fish on a pattern you tied.

I also found that I really like one of the two bobbins I "inherited" and dislike the other. The one I like is 4.5" long, has a lined thread tube, maintains great tension, and the only marking I could find on it is a DRT marking on the spindle ends, with the R & T joined together. Anyone know who made this bobbin and if it is still made?
Take a closer look it’s probably DHT = DH Thompson from Illinois I believe

There are 3 good ways to develop your tying skills and proficiency - take a class (which you've done), tie with fly tying buddies (here in central NY a group used to meet at the DEC Log Cabin on the NYS Fairgrounds and tie the first Tuesday of every month - no set class you just show up and tie), and participate in a fly swap. In a fly swap you tie multiple copies of a particular pattern and get back multiple patterns from the other swappers. First, you develop your tying eye as well as your small muscle skills. Also, you get exposed to other patterns to add to your personal database AND you get a fly to test drive on the water to see if it is a good pattern for your area/circumstances.

My swaps are open to all level tyers and I do give additional help to any newer tyers as well as those new to swapping. If you have any questions, please feel free to answer here or send me a PM (personal message). Oh, and by the way, all my swappers get a fly-tying gift or two from me. I've been tying for over 50 years and I need the room!

Kim

Take a closer look it’s probably DHT = DH Thompson from Illinois I believe
Drifly - That may well be it. The middle part of the letters is not crystal clear, almost like it was stamped slightly off. Thanks.

Feather Craft sells spool tenders that I use on all my wire spools. Makes it much easier. I am not tech savvy so I don't know how to link or if we are allowed to, but if you go to feather craft website or google and type in spool tenders they will come up. Tim Flagler also has a cool video on how to make them yourself if you are up for it. Glad to hear tying is going good for you. Zebra Midges are a great pattern to start with and will work year round. I tie them in black, red, brown, and olive.

On the plus side, I tied 10 zebra midges today in two colors, and they look much better than the first two I tied at my beginner class. And I can use the whip finish tool properly at least 3/4 of the time. I have lots to learn...

Welcome to the fly tying community!
I started with zebra midges too.
Before long every fly that you look at will be seen as the puzzle of materials and order of steps that you know you can complete!!!

Congratulations on starting your journey!!

You may find that the bobbin holder you don’t like will be good for something other than tying thread.

For example, I have some bobbin holders loaded with bobbins of wire, and some with bobbins of floss.
They are bobbin holders I would never use for thread, but, are fine for other stuff.

Good luck !!

learning to tie your own flys is as much fun as learning to fly fish. have fun with it. nothing beats catching your first fish on a pattern you tied.
Kyle: I love fishing Zebra Nymphs. They do what I want to do....SINK to the bottom of my drift.
60% depth 30% drift 10% fly
They represent an insect that all fish eat from the time they were born and the image or profile of the fly is simple and exact and works all year long.
Try using black Kevlar as your body and finish the nymph with Sally Hansen's hard as nails.
Sally will seal and protect and hold your fly together forever.
I assume you're using Tungsten Beads.
Andy

One October I fished the Big Hole in MT for a week using nothing but a Zebra and
a big fluffy hopper pattern as an indicator. I used the same rig all week. Browns/Cutts/Bows/Whitefish all
remembered what a midge nymph looked like.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 12
Try using black Kevlar as your body and finish the nymph with Sally Hansen's hard as nails.
Sally will seal and protect and hold your fly together forever.
I assume you're using Tungsten Beads.
Andy
What is "black Kevlar"? I just used some old 6/0 Uni-Thread in black and new Veevus 6/0 thread in red. And Firehole 2.5mm tungsten beads in silver. I think I'll get some beads in black nickel for future efforts. I did use Sally Hanson Hard as Nails on the whip finish/bead interface when done. Are you saying use the Sally to coat the entire fly body?

What is "black Kevlar"? I just used some old 6/0 Uni-Thread in black and new Veevus 6/0 thread in red. And Firehole 2.5mm tungsten beads in silver. I think I'll get some beads in black nickel for future efforts. I did use Sally Hanson Hard as Nails on the whip finish/bead interface when done. Are you saying use the Sally to coat the entire fly body?
Kevlar is what the make bullet proof vest from. Feather Craft et al sell it. It comes in different colors.
it is "SUPER" strong. I use it because of its strength and "less wraps less work".
I cover the entire fly with Sally Hansens. Looking for Tungsten Beads and a great price?
Try "Wishes and Fishes" Fly Shop (870) 445-3848 www.theflyfishing-store.com "JIm"
great prices and good selection of sizes and colors

Kevlar is what the make bullet proof vest from. Feather Craft et al sell it. It comes in different colors.
it is "SUPER" strong. I use it because of its strength and "less wraps less work".
I cover the entire fly with Sally Hansens. Looking for Tungsten Beads and a great price?
Try "Wishes and Fishes" Fly Shop (870) 445-3848 www.theflyfishing-store.com "JIm"
great prices and good selection of sizes and colors
Thanks. I knew Kevlar was used for vests, I didn't know it was available as thread.

Last edited:
That's true, but it also kills scissors pretty quickly. If you use it, consider getting a second pair just for cutting kevlar.

I've used the kevlar thread before. Two things...first is that redietz is right on about the scissors. With that said, my scissors were not really good scissors in the first place. Second, I got a spool for free and was playing with deer hair at the time. Wanted something I could crank on to spin it that wouldn't break. Duh, Cut through that deer hair better than my scissors. Strong but unnecessarily so.

That's true, but it also kills scissors pretty quickly. If you use it, consider getting a second pair just for cutting kevlar.
I use Wiss "Quick Clips" for tying.
Kevlar is tough so I save all my old scissors (I have many) to use to cut wire and Kevlar. I fish with some Dr's and I trade fur and feathers for their surgical kits that come with scissors and forceps.
I learned to bleach and dye fur and feathers a long time ago, so the guys love to trade steel tools for custom ground dubbings.
A Zebra isn't particular when it comes to thread. A lot of guys just use what's hanging around. I like the feel of Kevlar and the way it lies down and the strength to pull down and bury itself in the wraps.

Back