New toy

echuck66

echuck66

Some new toys... I'm anxious to get out and play with them.

Orvis Clearwater 7'6" 3wt rod and a Battenkill II reel. Anyone have a similar setup?

Attachments

• rodreel_small.jpg
    rodreel_small.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 12
  • reel_small.jpg
    reel_small.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
Not really, but kinda.... I have a 7'9" Clearwater 5wt, but it's from the older Clearwater series. Not sure if they made any changes other than the looks. It's probably my #1 small stream rod, whether I'm throwing dries for little brookies or tossing some streamers for strong small stream wild browns or stockies.

I also have an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor, which I believe they discontinued. Have it paired up with my 6wt Winston GVX. Great reel.

Overall, you have a fine setup!

The closest I've got to that is a gloomis 7'-6" three piece 4 wt. imx slate blank I built in the 90's it has a hardy featherlight reel on it. That set up you've got there should be a blast to fish.

I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever staring at it and knowing that all the streams near me are blocked with ice. I'm hoping for a break in the weather up on Nashannock creek sometime in February though. The wife wants to do some shopping in Volant and Grove City. I told her if the weather is good enough, to drop me off at the stream and head out.

lv2nymph wrote:
The closest I've got to that is a gloomis 7'-6" three piece 4 wt. imx slate blank I built in the 90's it has a hardy featherlight reel on it. That set up you've got there should be a blast to fish.

I have that same rod and it is awesome. It took me years to find one but I was finally able to pick one up used, owned by a Loomis Rep at the time. Great rod!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same set up until last year. It worked really well for brookies and even used for tricos on spring a couple times. My only complaint was I felt I had to work to hard to turn over big ugly size 10-12 dries. That rod will do it but not with much grace. I converted to a 7 foot 4 wgt that suits me better. I would watch the wraps on that rod as mine werent finished properly. When they got wet they would be a gummy consistency. That was a manufacturing probably that orvis took care of.

Bottom line is that if you use that rod for what it was designed for you will really like it. Especially at the price and warranty

Back