new toy

sandfly

sandfly

A few pics of the new rod, 11' 3wt. for trout and maybe steel head. the reel is a redington AL 3/4 with 125 yds of gel spun. Still deciding on what Rio line, most likely a double taper..

Attachments

• 4-3-12 028.jpg
    4-3-12 028.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 4-3-12 030.jpg
    4-3-12 030.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 4-3-12 031.jpg
    4-3-12 031.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-3-12 035.jpg
    4-3-12 035.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-3-12 043.jpg
    4-3-12 043.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 5
  • 4-3-12 047.jpg
    4-3-12 047.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4-3-12 051.jpg
    4-3-12 051.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3
Sweet!

Tryin to decide what my next rod should be. Why an 11 ft 3 wt? What will you use it for?

high stick nymphing, wet fly fishing, egg dunking for steel, and dry fly on Pine Creek.

Sandfly,
Hi i like this except for it being a 3 wt, is this available as a 4 or preferably a 5 wt? I love swinging softhackles an drfiting nymphs an if its a medium action it would make a great length streamer rod. Pm the details,Btw i think a Rio Trout Lt double taper or a Wulff Triangle taper would work really well for you.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Sandy, a 3wt for steelhead? you're pretty wild but thats wild for even you.

What make blank is that? it looks very nice!
How do you like it?
Thanks

Is that from Angler's Roost? You know the one I've been contemplating?

Sandfly, Hi i like this except for it being a 3 wt, is this available as a 4 or preferably a 5 wt? I love swinging softhackles an drfiting nymphs an if its a medium action it would make a great length streamer rod.

its on the soft side got it on ebay a ways back, guy goes by "roger" he had them in different colors all the way op to 7 wts.

Sandy, a 3wt for steelhead? you're pretty wild but thats wild for even you.

It would be like fishing a noodle rod it can be done, the reel holds 125 yds. of gel spun so there is plenty to play a fish..

Is that from Angler's Roost? You know the one I've been contemplating?

E-bay rods by "roger" seem to be pretty decent on the softer side though...price was to good to pass 25.00 for the blank..

Nice looking rod Sandfly! Is that a custom grip? I might just be the pictures but it looks longer than usual with very little taper.

custom grip 9" long to help balance the rod length. beady asaph is to big going to use it on canada, half the size of asaph...lol

Did it come with 1 or 2 tips? Looks like one by your pics.

3wt on steelhead?

i know most of your post can get some rolled eyes... but that takes top prize

no worse than a noodle rod with bait. try it ya might be amazed..lee wulff used small rods on atlantic salmon, so why not steel. I used a 5' 4wt for musky one year fiberglass at that..still have the rod too..got a pic of a 10 lb. carp on same rod.....

Attachments

• carp 92.jpg
    carp 92.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4
The mind reels.......

There are certain parameters that rod weights and lengths cover and those two universes seem to not overlap even by a little.

3 weight and under rods are designed to throw a line capable of turning over light weight flies with little or no additional weight. Typically dry flies.

Rods designed to throw light weight lines are softer and lack the backbone to fight large fish sportingly.

So #1, you will struggle trying to use the terminal tackle necessary to catch steelhead with the rod and #2, once you catch the fish you will struggle trying to land said fish.

At least that's the way I see it.

I like the idea. I don't know about steelhead because I never fished for them but I went from 9' 5wt to 10' 4wt for high stick nymphing on Penns and other local streams and will never look back. In fact, my next rod will be a 11' 3 or 4wt.

where I fish for stell its small streams with the fish weighing less and are smaller in size, no big deal. Basically the rod is just like a noodle rod and fighting a fish is the same..so what i want to know is why some think it won't work..I'm not fishing for 12 lb.+ fish but they are on the smaller size but wild..if I hook one of the 5-6 lb. browns in pine its the same is this rod wrong ?? Maurice, the rod is 11' long it has backbone compared to a 6 -9' 3 wt. rod its just lower down on the rod..

Using s 5ft 4wt. for musky? Thats funny.....fiberglass to boot!

Back