new to true rotary vises

E

edhank

I recently made the switch to a true rotary vice after 25 years on a Regal. I am finding it a bit of a challenge setting wings on traditional dries on my rotary vise, a Renzetti. The arm seems to be getting in the way when putting o the wings, my hand doesn't seem to get as flat or something. Will this pass as I gain more experience with the Renzett? Do others have this issue too?

Welcome ed. I had the same experience when I moved to a true rotary vise. It seemed everything was in the way when I tried to tie materials in. I unconsciously adjusted to the new angles and now 3 months later I cant remember anything different. Keep at it. I believe it will soon feel natural.

I second what Nomad archer said. It will take some time to develop new habits for tying materials in and constructing the fly. Ultimately I improved the quality of my flies and also the efficiency of my tying.

Why didn't you get the regal rotary vise?

Rollingdog wrote:
Why didn't you get the regal rotary vise?

It didn't appeal to me because of that hunk of metal the jaws go into. It seemed to me it would raise the elevation of the hand even more, off the hook shank.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have finally figured out how to use this vice. I just needed to adjust the angle I hold the materials in my fingers. Geesh, took me long enough

giphy.gif

For me the true rotary's claim to fame is with dubbing loops. After getting the bobbin rest set they are a breeze.

Back