New to Ridgway/Elk County

T

tempy1429

Frequent browser here but recently moved in to a place a few miles outside of Ridgway to take a job. Looking for any general intel, primarily on fly fishing in the area. I know the clarion watershed is pretty massive and worth exploring, but I am just looking for some general advice/input/local knowledge on local waters.

Also, if any locals have other information regarding the area (restaurants, bars, activities nearby), any insight is welcome. Considering I know a grand total of nobody in the immediate area, any help is greatly appreciate. PM's are very welcome. Thanks all, tight lines

I used to fish the Clarion for Smallies at Cooksburg. It is a nice and productive small river there. I've never explored the tailwaters trout fishery of the Clarion but have heard great things.

You picked a great area to move to for fly fishing trout. I grew up in Johnsonburg (have since moved to Western MD). I have fished all over the area, but my favorite for sure is the east branch of the Clarion. Anywhere from just outside of Johnsonburg (can't fish it in Johnsonburg because of the hatchery) up to the release from the East Branch Dam is great and you will find Rainbows, Brookies and an occasional brown in there. For big brown trout, anywhere between Johnsonburg and Ridgway on the Clarion is great (although it can be tough to get access to a few places, but its possible - floating is a good option). Lots of great tribs for wild brookies as well. I always make it a point to get out when I go back to visit the family and it always reminds me of how good I had it when I lived there.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to explore. I am sure you will come to love it as much as I do.

Driftwood Branch of Sinnemahoning is just over the mountain running through Emporium and down to Driftwood. It's another great watershed with good tributaries.

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a camp near emporium so I am semi familiar with the driftwood watershed. Definitely feel like a kayak is a necessity to fully explore the clarion.

Back