New to fly tying

• Thread starter Dubtheflyfisher
  • Start date
D

Dubtheflyfisher

Hey guys,
I just began tying my own flies a few weeks ago. I've just been tying some basic stuff like San Juans, eggs, some scuds etc. With spring coming fast, I need to stock up my fly boxes and start tying some more complicated patterns. I'm a hands on learner and learning from a video can be difficult at times. Is there any places or TU chapters that offer good tying classes? I'm currently located in Westmoreland County.

Also, wasn't sure if this should be posted in this forum or the beginners forum.

Local orvis stores should offer fly tying 101 courses. International Federation of Fly Fishers chapters should have some instruction courses too
If you can make it to Lancaster this weekend, you will see a ton of fly tyers at the Fly Fishing show, and i know IFFF will be there too.

Definitely worth a day trip to the show, particularly if you're new to fly tying. A number of members of this forum will be in attendance tying flies at various booths.

tightlineproductions has the best fly tying videos on Youtube. Use what you have confidence in but simple patterns are just as good as complicated patterns

Tighlines has some great youtube videos. There are several other very good instructional tutorials on youtube.

I am a hands on learner and using youtube I have become somewhat proficient. The nice thing about youtube is that you can look up loads of patterns or just a specific technique like how to apply dubbing, a dubbing loop, how to whip finish, etc. Also If what you tried doesnt come out the way you like you can always cut it off and try again. If you missed something you can rewind. Otherwise there has got to be some lessons or simply fly tying groups in your area.

I think an good next pattern for you to try is either a pheasant tail, hares ear nymph, or a walts worm. All are relatively simple yet very productive patterns. For the pheasant tail you can modify it make it simpler - I usually use a peacock slf dubbing in place of the peacock herl and skip the wing case and legs. It is a simple quick tie that I have caught lots of fish with. Give it a go at home. No need to get super complicated. Guide style files are a great place to start and learn to tie.

The TCO fly shops have tying nights, maybe that's something you could check out if your located near one

Call Ligonier Outfitters to see if they offer classes. Years ago International Anglers in Pittsburgh offered classes as well.

But YouTube videos are excellent educational tools. I really like intheriffle fly tying YouTube videos.

Over the years, I have even tying less and less of highly technical flies. Over the last few years, Walt's worms, Sexy Walt's Worms, RS2's and WD40's have caught most of my fish. Throw in some wooly buggers, slumpbusters, eggs and sucker spawn and black fur ants and you are good to go. All of those flies are easy to tie and catch fish.

Good luck.

Wallyfish wrote:
Call Ligonier Outfitters to see if they offer classes. Years ago International Anglers in Pittsburgh offered classes as well.

But YouTube videos are excellent educational tools. I really like intheriffle fly tying YouTube videos.

Over the years, I have even tying less and less of highly technical flies. Over the last few years, Walt's worms, Sexy Walt's Worms, RS2's and WD40's have caught most of my fish. Throw in some wooly buggers, slumpbusters, eggs and sucker spawn and black fur ants and you are good to go. All of those flies are easy to tie and catch fish.

Good luck.

A size 10 Walts worm tied with dark brown hares ear plus, lead wraps and a green or black tungsten bead is money! I love them things, so easy to tie and so effective as a fish catcher and additional weight for multi fly rigs.
That hares ear plus blend dubbing is so good you could smoke it! :lol:

Hi Dub, take Eunan's advice and try to hook up with someone at the Lancaster show.

I started tying 3 yrs ago. A few months after I started tying, a forum member, Gencon, offered help and that made all the difference. You can learn to tie on your own, but at the very least, help from an experience tyer will save you a lot of time.

Get,Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish.
If you don't like it ,I'll eat a bug!

I recommend Jim misuria's channel!

Happy anniversary Jessed

Back