New to fly fishing

S

Stevem

Im newer to fly fishing but quickly became addicted.
I have a few questions if anyone can help with.

Nymph fishing, are you better off with 2 nymphs and if so, should they both be bead heads, if the current is fast enough?

When tying a nail knot, fly line to your leader, what pound line should I be using for this?

Is a strike indicator more effective?

My rod is a 4wt, 8 1/2 foot setup for trout fishing streams/rivers.

Thanks

So let me give this a shot based on my experience. Hopefully I am not too far off the mark. If I am someone will correct me.

Nymphing - In my opinion for a beginner start with a single nymph. I prefer weighted nymphs but ultimately as long as they fly is getting down to the bottom that is all that matters. Also try to avoid overhead casting as it is difficult with an indicator and some weighted flies on the end. Roll casts and flop casts will be your friend.

Strike Indicators - Strike indicators are like everything they have applications where they will produce more than other nymphing techniques such as euro nymphing or highsticking. For a beginner start with a strike indicator adjust it as necessary to get the nymphs to the bottom. You should be able to get a good drift without snagging the bottom on every cast. Add split shot as needed to get the flies down. The indicator will help you identify takes which can be really subtle. Eventually you will be comfortable enough to progress to other nymphing techniques and rigging multiple flies. Learn to catch fish consistently with one method before trying to learn another.

I don't use nail knots so I cannot help. Does our fly line have a loop on the end? If so use a loop to loop connection from your leader to fly line. If the leader needs a loop tied onto it, look up how to tie the perfection loop.

What part of the state are you located in? It may be very helpful to fish with someone that is knowledgeable in these techniques and willing to help.

I'm from Pennsylvania .
I've been flying fishing for about three year, but I haven't got to the point were I can catch trout consistently. I have made much improvement on casting though.

Ivery been mainly using a bead head nymph with a leader tied off with another nymph, but I think you may be right with just using one for now

My rod is actually a 5wt, think I had 4 wt listed before.

I don't nymph so I'll leave those questions for someone else to answer.

About the nail knot, if your fly line doesn't have a loop built in, a piece of 30lb mono can be tied to the fly line with a nail knot. About 8 inches later a perfection loop can be tied to be able to use a loop to loop connection with your leader, also with a perfection loop on the end. This is much easier than tying a new nail knot every time you change leaders.

If you are already using a two nymph system and are used to that then feel free to keep using it. When I fish under and indicator a lot of times I will put the heavier fly first on the leader then 16"-20" of tippet off the bend to a smaller or similar sized fly.

Generally what types and sizes of nymphs are you using?

What types of streams are you fishing limestone or free stone? If you don't mind specifically which streams are you fishing. I am not looking for your favorite spot.

Also I assumed you where from PA but general location will help us possibly give you more specific advice on where to fish.

If you are not seining a little bit each time out your are missing some valuable information. I use my landing net which has a fine mesh netting as the sein and flip some rocks in the riffles and kick up the gravel as I let everything run through the net. Usually yields a few nymphs that I use to match something in my box. It helps to get something close to whats in the water at least to start. If you don't have a fine mesh on your net I was told that a 5 gallon paint strainer can be put over your net to do the same thing and only costs a few dollars.

Usually I'll use a copper john, prince, hares ear or if I'm fishing at the loyalsock creek near hugesville, pa. I will use the golden stone fly.

I also fish the lehigh river, but that was always with the spinning rod, but all of my interest anymore is with the fly rod.

So I do not have much information on those bodies of water but I have a new Keystone Fly fishing guide book tomorrow and I will see if there is any information in there that might be helpful. Others may see this thread and add some info as well.

As for the nymphs that seems like a reasonable selection. I would add some zebra midges or brassies size 20 - 22 in at least a black and olive. I like red and purple as well My best day on a midge this year was a purple zebra midge so you never know. I would also add a few beadhead pheasant tail's or beadhead pheasant tails with a soft hackle collar. There are more I can add each time I go out the hares ear or pheasant tail is responsible for a few fish. I could add lots and lots more patterns but they are not necessary. I just carry too many files.

For limestone or limestone influenced streams I would consider scuds and sow bug patterns must have flies.

What type of water are you usually fishing? Long flats, deep pools or broken water such as riffles and runs? For nymphing try to concentrate on the riffles, pocket water and fast runs. That will be the most productive water. Don't completely ignore other types of water but don't spent a lot of time on it.

Just to add you can fish for just about any species with the proper fly equipment. I had a great time this one hot day this summer throwing trout streamers to bass.

Here are a two part presentation from George Daniel that really helped me learn to nymph.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9XlK3Q5mcU&t=1s

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJiSb0wb1w

Stevem wrote:
Im newer to fly fishing but quickly became addicted.
I have a few questions if anyone can help with.

Nymph fishing, are you better off with 2 nymphs and if so, should they both be bead heads, if the current is fast enough?

When tying a nail knot, fly line to your leader, what pound line should I be using for this?

Is a strike indicator more effective?

My rod is a 4wt, 8 1/2 foot setup for trout fishing streams/rivers.

Thanks

Stick with one one fly at a time for now. Easier to focus and something to graduate to later one. I still prefer one fly, but I'm really lazy.

I hate [d]complicated[/d] knots, hence the lazy thing.

Strike indicators are very good, they help me know depth when I'm nymphing. Don't every be shy about using them. I'd use a bobber if I could.

Your 4wt is a good start. I had one when I started for several years. Later when you have money to burn upgrade to a 5wt setup. I still have my 4wt and love my it. Not rush. You'll catch plenty of fish with it.

There are many answers to your very good questions. Keep asking and explore different ways that work best for you. There are a lot of very knowledgeable anglers here. Enjoy the journey.

Don't put a second nymph on because the current is faster, that is not the point of throwing two. The most important thing when nymphing is depth and speed which you can most easily control with split shot. Use an indicator and make sure the indicator is moving a little SLOWER than the surface water. If it is not add more weight.

When I first started fly fishing, I only used one nymph because to me it was less of a headache. Just tie on a pheasant tail and a strike indicator, and you're good to fish all day.

You're rod is a good length and weight to start with, however sometime you may upgrade to a 5 or 6 weight because it will make throwing larger flies a little easier. Then comes the specialty rods that you "have" to have.

As far as a line connection, if your line doesn't have a loop, just nail knot some heavy line like 30lb, and tie a perfection loop at the other end.

I don't think anyone said this yet, but you can just tie a small perfection loop with your fly line and go loop to loop to your leader from there (if you don't have a welded one.) I've never bothered with nail knots.

I use a dry fly indicator with a Bead Head Prince or Copper John nymph. Sometimes bobbers make to much of a splash.

What part of the Lehigh do you fish ? I fish the White Haven area.

if your fly line doesn't have a loop built in, a piece of 30lb mono can be tied to the fly line with a nail knot. About 8 inches later a perfection loop can be tied to be able to use a loop to loop connection with your leader, also with a perfection loop on the end. This is much easier than tying a new nail knot every time you change leaders.

This is very good advice. Up until about eight years ago fly lines never had loops on the ends to make the leader attachment so easy. I learned how to tie the nail knot and still prefer that line to leader connection today. As soon as I buy a new fly line I snip off the loop at the end and attach a piece of .026 " - .028" nylon via a nail knot. I leave it long initially so I can work with it and then I adjust the length so it is 6" - 8" long with a small Perfection loop at the end. You can buy some Loon "Knot Sense" and sparingly apply it to the nail knot and taper it out so it extends onto the end of the fly line so there is a tapered and smooth transition from the line to the leader. Knot Sense is a UV material and can't cure unless you take it out into the direct sun light for about 15 seconds or you zap it with a UV light source. Then you can do a loop to loop attachment of the tapered leader to the permanent butt.

Back