New to Fly fishing

J

jmbasile2

New to board, thanks for letting me join the ranks!
Need help getting some good gear to start fishing.
I am willing to spend some money to get some quality and lasting gear. Need rood and reel set up. I fish local streams in Lehigh Valley and will probably venture out in PA and trips to other states. Thnaks

Welcome aboard. Check any reputable fly shop for help on a setup. Often times you don't need to spend a lot for a good outfit.. GG

Welcome to the jungle!

You'll receive a lot of guidance and good advice here in the PAFF

I'd suggest posting your budget in the beginner forum and you will get a lot of opinions offered. Also, as GG said, a good fly shop will make some suggestions.

Dave

You will have to decide on what your going to go fishing for. I have an 8wt for LMBass and such, a 5wt and a 3wt for Trout etc. Lengths vary depending on the size of the river or creek i'm fishing or how quiet or noisy I want my lure to hit the water. Bass/Bluegills/Muskies like to go after the splash and trout run and hide for the most part. The heavier the weight rod the larger the fly that can be thrown. I good starter package for trout would be a 5 or 6wt rod around 9 foot. Wt forward floating line. as for flies I would look at the hatch chart here at PAFlyfishing and match the hatch as best as possible. Also I use a dry fly as an indicator with a nympth attached about 2 1/2 to 3 feet from it for trout.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO SOME OF THE GREATEST ADVENTURES YOU WILL HAVE IN FISHING!

Thanks to all !! I look forward to the site.

Back