New to fly, back in PA

V

vegasj

Hello all. Just intro'n myself.

I'm from Vegas, met my wife there back in 2007, we wanted to get away so we moved to about 45 mins. southeast of Pittsburgh in 2010. I moved back west after my wife passed in 2020 & realized after 2 years I liked PA more. So I moved back but to central PA in Philipsburg. Work from home in the IT field so getting out & throwing some line is easier these days. 😁 Wanted to be somewhere close to fishing, lakes for boating & good trails for SxS riding.

Almost 51 & trying out fly for the 1st time. Got a cheapy combo setup to start off with. Been practicing in Cold Stream since its pretty close to me & I have to been out to Black Moshannon a few times where I grabbed my 1st catch ever using the fly setup within 20 minutes of casting.

Found the forum here searching for fly setup and tips so it's good to be here & reading up!

Attachments

• 20240609_141156.jpg
    20240609_141156.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 52
Dude, if you're in Philipsburg, you're in a great place to pursue trout on your new fly rod. Seriously, an abundance of quality streams are within your reach.

Welcome to the forum.

Phillips burger is a great place to live if you want to fly fish for trout in Pa. A lot of options within an hour or less

Dear vegasj,

To expound on what jifigz said, if you want to fish for warm-water fish you have options up your way too. Black Moshannon Lake has good panfish and bass fishing. Kettle Creek Lake isn't too far way, nor are Sayers Dam and Colyer Lake. You're in the land of milk and honey!

Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Welcome aboard. GG

Dude, if you're in Philipsburg, you're in a great place to pursue trout on your new fly rod. Seriously, an abundance of quality streams are within your reach.

Welcome to the forum.
haha, been trying to find em all. Did pull a 14" rainbow out of a beaver pond down a little from Black Moshannon reservoir last week. But wasn't using the fly rod. Too many trees & grass for a newbie to throw a line out. Donated a fly to the tree above me & switched to a fake worm

Thx all for the welcome. Tips & spots welcome in DMs 😁

Back