New St. Croix Legend Ultra.

NorthBranch

NorthBranch

I just picked up a new 4 piece 8' 4wt St. Croix Legend Ultra on the advise of a good fly fishing buddy. When I was looking at the 5wt Imperial and 5wt Passport, I liked the Imperial better for what it will be used for... mainly smallies, but also some big stream trout fishing and got the Imperial. However, I felt the Passport in 4wt would be a nicer dedicated medium sized stream trout rod. My buddy said if I liked the Winston, I would like the Ultra as well, or maybe even better... so I went for it, especially considering St. Croix is selling them out for $100 or so off retail.

Anyhow, I'm glad I got the rod. It casts beautifully. It is fairly light, very crisp, but smooth and accurate at both short range and reasonably longer ranges. Throws 40' to 45' of line with little effort, and for me, that's all I need for most of the trout streams I like to fish. St. Croix labels the rod as "fast" action, but I find it more of a moderate/fast leaning towards fast... at least with a new 4wt RIO Gold line on it. Almost perfect for me, as I like a fast action rod... but not crazy fast like a couple I've tried.

The hardware, and fit and finish are very nice for a factory stick at this price point. A bit better than the Passport if I remember correctly, but the Passport was fine in this respect too.

I wish I had more funds, as I believe I would pick up the Ultra in 7'6" 2wt before they run out... but I'm tapped out at this point. :-D Plus, I have to buy my buddy a couple of beers... he was right.

Good Luck with it. Looking forward to the pictures of the first fish you get using it.

I have 2 Ultras. It's a very nice rod. I think you'll love it.

Thanks guys.

Yea, I'm pretty certain I'm going to love the rod. Already planning for a great matching reel.

I have Legend Ultras in 3 wt and 5 wt. They're great rods.

They still have some 2wt's... I'm trying to fan-angle a way to get one. Based on the way this 4wt casts, I'm betting the 2wt would be a great small stream rod.

Zenherper has a St Croix 7' 3wt on the swap forum. That's a sweet little rod.

bump, bump. LOL

Back