new rod

S

SteveG

After reading a couple recent posts regarding small stream rods, I thought I'd write a little review of a rod I just received today.

The rod is a 7' 3-4wt 2pc fiberglass rod from South Fork Rod Company, owned by Dave and Margot Redington. The blanks are rolled in house by Margot. It is listed under the Glass category of their web site. (They also offer fiberglass rods made from Lamiglas blanks, these are listed under the Classic category.)

First off, the customer service the Redingtons gave me was first class. They took the time to speak with me on the phone to answer my questions, were very detailed during the ordering process regarding the customization I wanted, and even called me during the building process to let me know how it was coming along. It's rare to get service like this, especially for a rod that is priced below $300.

Onto the rod. Build quality on this rod is outstanding, again especially at this price point. The wraps, I chose an emerald green with no tipping, are perfect. The clear coat is excellent with no build up or runs. Since this is a rod that may see some abuse, I didn't go crazy on customization, but they can offer other bells and whistles. Also of note is the rod tube, which was included. The site shows a cordura tube and sock. I was a little shocked to open the shipping box and find a gorgeous painted aluminum tube.

Just for clarification, when I think small stream, I picture your stereotypical small high gradient mountain stream choked by rhododendron. The type of place where more often than not, you barely have any fly line out of the tip. Some streams are small in size, but meander through a meadow with no casting obstructions. Obviously in a place like this you can get away with a longer rod.

Up until this new rod, I have been using a Greys Streamflex 6'6" 3wt. I purchased it when I had little experience in casting mechanics. Uplining it helped a little, but I wanted something that could load easier, without me trying to force a bend into it. I then read about the easier loading nature of bamboo and glass rods. Bamboo was out of the question on price alone, so that lead me to glass. If you have never cast a glass rod, I suggest you give it a try before writing it off as antiquated. I was put more at ease, after placing my order, when I was told by a local FFF instructor that he only fishes with glass anymore.

Now to the fun part. I loaded the rod up with a 3wt Scientific Anglers GPX line. As I understand, the GPXs are a 1/2 line weight heavier. This thing immediately felt how I feel a flyrod should feel. I've heard glass criticized for being like a limp noodle, but maybe that the older glass rods. This just felt alive and responsive. I'm far from a great caster, but hell, this thing actually cleaned up my casting! I think my natural casting stroke is just slower.

Up close it loaded effortlessly with barely any line beyond the tip, and could even shoot line. Further out it still felt good and was still very accurate. Once I had about 40ft of line out, the wind picked up quite a bit and progress seemed to slow. But, again, I'm not a great caster, and I won't be fishing at that distance anyway. Standard and "jump" roll casts at the distances I will be fishing this rod at were beautiful, as were bow and arrow casts. I even did some little single hand spey type casts and they looked good. Heck, as a test I did that little back and forth left to right movement on the Joe Humphrey's Tight Brush dvd and it actually worked. The take home here is that this thing practically loads on its own.

I can't say I've cast a ton of rods, but of the graphite rods I've cast the only ones I can say I actually liked (as opposed to just being a fishing tool) was a Superfine Touch, and an unknown blank built by a local fellow that was a 7'9" 3wt, which seems like an orphan to me.

Hopefully my amateurish review was helpful to anyone contemplating a glass rod. If anyone is ever around the Mechanicsburg (Harrisburg) area and would like to cast it, shoot me a pm. Or, if you want to meet up on a brookie stream within a few counties of me, I'm always up for that too. I figure it's the least I can do for Dave and Margot with how great their customer service was.

Nicely said Steve. Your enjoying it, that is what matters. I'll see you in the neighborhood.

Thanks Brian. Once it cools off, we'll have to meet up on the Connie some evening.

Thanks for a nice review & fun read! The 7' glass rod I use on smaller streams is the same way. Isn't it amazing how the rod automatically casts insanely "right" ?

Thanks. Yes, even on the first cast. There was no trying to find the groove, it was just intuitive.

Any pics? I'm in the market for the same type of rod and may call them. Thanks.

Great testimonial. We'll have to meet up and do a mini-cast off with short glass.

Cool. I would like to try a rod like that. So how much do you want for the Greys Streamflex?

I think I have pics attached here

Longbow, I have no clue how to post pics in here. But their website has pics.

Lestrout, sounds like a plan.

Foxtrapper, I'm not sure what I'm doing with the Streamflex quite yet. But if I decide to sell, I'll pm you.

Stopped by the Orvis store in Plymouth Meeting and cast the glass 3 wt. Lots of fun. I want one.

Then left to wet a few flies in Valley. A couple fell to the flying ant.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 8
I have their lodge rod. The 7 foot 4/5 one piece. What a nice rod. Some of their other models are slow and noodly. The rod I own is perfect. Steve maybe we'll have to check em out side by side one day

Back