New Rod.....

W

wsender

So I'm going to build a rod over the winter. My first one, I'm pumped! :hammer: So I have some questions that I'm hoping the knowledge well can answer. Let me give you some background information that is probably pertinent to my situation. I want a med/slow rod. I have 6wt 8'6'' and an 8wt 9'0''. So now to the questions....

-The actual building process: Does anyone know of a good comprehensive, dumb-as-sh*t, guide to rod building? Many people have said 'google this that and the other' but I generally find conflicting information. So if someone has a guide that they know of, or could recommend, I'd appreciate it,

-The blanks: I'm looking to use the St. Croix SCIII rod blanks since it's available in a myriad of sizes and weights and is a slower rod. Is St. Croix a good first rod? Is any one company better than the other in terms of beginner building?

-Weight: I was thinking a 3wt. I can be talked out of this. I have 6wt which I love for more open waters like the Delaware and Salmon River(and for those who haven't fished the Salmon in the summer for trout, you're missing out, did I just spot burn, god damnit). I want something lighter for some of the small streams in the area. Is 3wt too light? Should I bump it up to a 4wt?

-Length: Since this is a small stream rod, I was thinking small. Maybe something in the neighborhood of 7'-7'6''. Too short?

Tear me apart guys!

I hate to give you more of what you said you didn't want, but if you search for rod building on this forum, you'll find a few threads with tons of recommended books and links.

I built one a few years ago, and chronicled the whole ordeal.

10' 1wt!

No, seriously... i got nothing to add on building, but the thing I can suggest is that if you've got 8 and 6 then the general thought is you keep going in steps of 2, so its 4wt next.

4wt is a good trout rod, for PA, and I'm sure NY too. I've found my 8' 4wt rod to be just about a perfect compromise for everything I want to do in PA trout streams, and the water I fished in NY (the NYC drinking water resevoir tailwaters a bunch of times).

My "short" rod is 6'6", and I never use it. My lightest rod is 7'6", and I wish it were longer. I just purchased a 9' 3wt rod to make up the difference.

Enjoy.

Go here:

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/

If it ain't on that site and someone on that site can't answer it, there's no sense in asking the question.

i'm also working on my first.
st.croixs are good rods. i've been using store boughts for some time. so i went with one of their blanks....a 9' 5wt using their scIV/II blank.
i found a book entitled fly rod building made easy, by art scheck to be fairly useful.....it can be found at mudhole.com.
youtube has many videos on the subject as well.

i was just messing around with the tiptop wrap this evening....i need fewer, smaller thumbs.......

If you can put into action what a what a book suggest that's awesome. I needed someone there to guide me.

You could take a class which is a little extra cost, but you know you'll get the job done right.

You could also pursuade a buddy that builds rods to help you.

I love St. Croix and have build like 7 SCIII's (4 of which I still own because of their quality).

Back