New Rod

plombardo

plombardo

I am looking on buying a Orvis Hydros 9'6" 6wt 4 pc.

Has anyone casted or used a hydros?

Orvis doesn't make a 10 foot in this rod. You have to go to the helios. which is out of my money range.

I want something to fish two/three nymps weight and that mends. I would like to be able to fish a dry if I have to.

Orvis for some dumb reason as of now doesnt make a 10' 6wt. Rumor has it though that a 10ft 6wt might be just around the corner in the hydros line. Anyways I bought my dad 9ft 5wt hydros and casting wise I really cant tell the difference between that and my helios. Same blank different hardware. Get it you'll love it.

If you plan on getting an Orvis, do it now. I believe the free large arbor battenkill comes free with a hydros. Check because the offer may already have expired...

Thank guys. I am planing on getting one this weekend. Just in time to get the free reel.

I hope the 9'6" 6 weight isn't a heavy club.

Orvis has no plans to make a switch or 10 footer in the hydros.
I have asked a couple times. They want you to buy the helios.

Well, my other rods dont have recoil guide and were probally wrapped somewhere else.. cant see spend 800 bills

IIRC, this is the last week for said offer.

Yes, May 31 is Last Day for free reel

Dont be shocked if you see a 10ft 6wt come fall just sayin!

Plombardo,

Most Euro nymphing guys choose 10' 4wts or even 3wts. The Greys Streamflex 10' 4wt is one of the most recommended rods for Euro nymphing. It is priced around $300.

http://troutpredator.info/hardy-greys-products/grey%27s-streamflex-10%27-3wt/

A long 4 wt or maybe a 5wt may work for both the Euro stuff and dries, but a 6wt may be too much rod for what you are looking to do with it.

Cabela's has a line of rods they call CZN, which you can no doubt surmise is Czech Nymphing. There's a 9'6" 3 and a 10' 4.

I can also say that the 10' 5wt TFO Teeny is long and has a supersensative tip, but I haven't bothered to try nymphing. The guy i bought it from, I believe, picked it up for that purpose but it wasn't 100% satisfactory, so he passed it on. I can only assume he wanted something lighter.

i would get the power matrix instead for the $ difference, the rod is 385 and get the battenkill large arbor (value of over 200 ) !!

I have the 9' 5wt...nice rod I would recommend it for what you are looking for.

I Wouldn't call what I do euro nymphing. The teeny rod is a little heavy. The hydro. Seems to be about the same a a zaxis 3 and 3/8. Would think it would be that. Much I hope..orvis would tell you no
and then bring one out for sure.

Most Euro nymphing guys choose 10' 4wts or even 3wts. The Greys Streamflex 10' 4wt is one of the most recommended rods for Euro nymphing. It is priced around $300.

http://troutpredator.info/hardy-greys ... 27s-streamflex-10%27-3wt/

A long 4 wt or maybe a 5wt may work for both the Euro stuff and dries, but a 6wt may be too much rod for what you are looking to do with it.

I have a Greys Streamflex 10' 4weight that I have used quite a bit this year. Great nymphing rod and not too bad for dry fly presentation either. 10' rod helps keep the line off the water for a great drift. I got a good deal on a Winston 10' 4wt so I will likely be selling the Greys soon.

Back