New rod recommendations

cpc1027

cpc1027

I have been fly fishing using conventional equipment for about 3 months (and Tenkara style for about 2 years). After reading some recommendations for starter outfits, I bought a Cabelas Prestige combo, which broke while I was fishing this weekend. Since it seems that Cabelas does not offer replacement parts for their rods, I'm in the market for a new rod, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I am definitely hooked, so the advice of "get something cheap until you decide whether or not you are going to stick with it" no longer applies. I am, however, still a beginner when it comes to my fly fishing skill set, so I don't feel that I would get the most out of a top of the line rod. I also tend to fish some areas that require some bushwhacking, so I want something that wont make me to cry if it gets a little beat up. I'm looking for another 9' 5wt rod, and in doing some searching, I have read a few threads where similar questions have been asked, but they all a little old, and it seems that the rod lineups can change fairly regularly. I'd like to hear what people think of the current offerings, so this is where I'm interested in suggestions. I'm looking to spend ~$200 (give or take a little), and I'll probably just use the reel from my now useless Prestige (unless I get another combo). From other threads and my own research, the rods that I am currently considering are:

Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo (only because it has a lot of good reviews and its on sale right now. Otherwise, my faith in Cabelas rod quality is a little shaky at the moment)

Orvis Clearwater

Allen Heritage

One of the TFO offerings in this price range

What are your opinions of these choices? Anything that I missed and I should be considering? Your input is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with any of those. But I recommend casting them. That might make your decision process easier.

I have the Cabelas RLS+ and love it. It was my first rod, and is still my go to trout rod. I have had it for a year and caught tons of fish on it without any problems. The reel that comes with the rod is also a beast for the price range that it's in.

The Orvis Clearwater is another great rod. You are going to spend more, but it also comes with the 25 year warranty. I do not have any experience with this combo, but I have heard that is a great combo for the price.

What kind of fishing....natives in small water or do you hit bigger water like the north branch?

What is your preferred price range? What is your max range?

Rod, reel & line?

I just ordered a cabelas tlr rod. They are having a huge fall sale right now, and it was half off - only paid $70. I have a few other cabelas rods, and I agree that their quality can be... mixed. I really like my wind river 4wt - have had it for a couple years now and I have had no problems with it. I also have a three forks 6wt that I honestly don't much care for - it's a very heavy rod, and I had to overline it to get it to cast right. The reviews for the tlr rod were good, so I'm hoping to have some luck with it.

I'm surprised that cabelas wouldn't just replace the rod for you... They're usually pretty good about that.

Oh and fwiw, you don't really need to get another combo if you have a reel that still works. I have several of the prestige reels, and they seem fine - not pretty, but very functional.

I've heard lots of good things about the orvis Clearwater, and I feel like you probably can't go wrong with an orvis product. I have yet to purchase one though, since the cabelas rods work and are *so* cheap!

St. Croix Avid.

You can also look into the Orvis Encounter.

Rods $125 or less....

TFO Pro
Redington CT
TFO Signature
Cabelas LSi
Redington Path

Rods in the $150 - $250 range
TFO Signature II
St Croix Imperial
St Croix Avid
Echo Edge
TFO BVK
Winston Passport (closeout)
Orvis Crosswater

If you go to cabelas and hit the cave, you might find higher priced rods at discounts because they are clearing inventory. Redington Torrents were in there for cheap a few months back.

Click drag reels run $20-$2000. Depends how fancy you want to get.

Reel with drag - function / price, Lamson Konic is hard to beat. Ross FlyRise is also decent. I believe there is the Cabelas Prestige, some closeout Cortland models and SA models for less than $40. Beyond that, you get into machined / sealed drag models and the prices jump huge. You're looking at $240 - $400. Not necessary for 90% of what we do here in PA.

Rather than dump a ton on a reel, I think you'd be better served putting some of that money on a decent line which should help with rod performance and put a little toward a good pair of glasses. You can't catch em if you can't see em.

Warranty wise, I think TFO is tough to beat. After that Winston, Redington and Orvis are pretty even. I personally have had horrific luck with Cabelas rods.

Good luck which ever direction you choose to go in. It's a great hobby / obsession.

TFO on sale at Cabelas for $59.99...lifetime warranty.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/TFO-Pro-Special-Fly-Rods/1589207.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DTfo%2Bspecial%26x%3D-738%26y%3D-52%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Tfo+special&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Well, some good news. I called Cabelas again because, after reading so many reviews of their good customer service, and thinking about the situation, I'm not sure the customer service agent understood the situation when I called from the stream on Saturday. The very helpful gentleman that I talked to today told me that they can't replace the rod because it's no longer available, but he is going to have me send it back and give me a credit. In that case, I think I'm going to give them another shot and go with the RLS+ Fly Combo for now. Thank for the advice, folks.

If things don't work out with the new setup I would definitely look into the TFO rods. They're great rods for that price range. The lifetime warranty is a nice perk too. You could also check out lelandfly.com. They do some nice deals on Loop rods here and there.

Redington CT, as someone mentioned would be a very good choice. It's worth checking out our 5-weight shootout.

There are some really good rods out there in the ~$250 price range, where in my opinion you get a much better 'bang for your buck' than any other price range.

You might also consider upgrading your fly line as you'll want it to match your rod AND it's probably the best investment in terms of increasing performance.

You could do a lot worse than the CT for all-around while you continue to hone and start to form opinions on how you enjoy fishing.

Continue to use the reel you own until it breaks. Why waste money? You can also continue to use the line, their branded lines were Scientific Anglers for the last few years. You can probably line up the taper and grain with the SA website to figure out which one it was.

Redington CT's are 50% off right now at Cabelas.com, if you are still looking.

For a budget entry level rod the Redington CT, is a decent stick.

A rod I don't see mentioned much, probably just because of a lack of familiarity, is the Echo Solo. Bought the 9'/5wt for my girlfriend for Valentines Day and she loves it, definitely helped her casting progress to that next level over the 7 1/2"/4wt I originally started her with. I've cast it bunch also, in fact I used it at the recent PA Casting Championships and had the third highest score overall. Hell of a nice stick for $129.

All good brands mentioned. Whatever you can get the best deal on.
TFO rods and Cabela's sales were where I primarily outfitted myself.

TFO - Lifetime Warranty, outstanding quality for the price, comes with rod sock.
Cabela's - Higher end rods have 10-25 year warranty, great quality, comes with rod sock and tubes.

I have fished Orvis rods, Redington rods, and checked out some Echo rods. They'll all work fine. TFO really strikes home for me. I've fished an Orvis Helios, and it was excellent. My BVK exceeds my needs and it was hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I have a Redington CT it's my goto trout rod and I love it

Orvis Clearwater. My friend has one and loves i .

Back