New Rig...what's your advice?

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Looking to start building a new steelhead setup. I just bought a Gary loomis imx 9'6" 7wt and a loop 2w reel. I'm not sure I really "loved" it on this last trip. So I was thinking about a sage 99 like the 799-4. And I was thinking about matching it with an Abel super 7 large arbor. What do you guys think? My biggest complaint is that I can't "feel" the take with the imx. The loop drag is weird too. I can live with it but I might want something different before the spring rush!

It sounds like you are going to have a $1500 steelhead set up in my opinion. Based upon everything I have read, heard and seen this would be a bad move. Having said that I fully understand money is relative to ones means and if that set up makes you feel better, then certainly it would work well.

Edit: And dibs on your old rig!

Double Edit : If you are going to spend $700 on a steelhead rod then I would spend $770 and get the new Winston BIIIx 10' 7wt. Place your order today and it should be available in a month or two, plenty of time for Spring.

jdaddy wrote:
It sounds like you are going to have a $1500 steelhead set up in my opinion. Based upon everything I have read, heard and seen this would be a bad move. Having said that I fully understand money is relative to ones means and if that set up makes you feel better, then certainly it would work well.

Edit: And dibs on your old rig!

I agree. Steelheading on the east coast simply doesn't require a high performance rod in most situations.

But "if you got it, flaunt it"! I would. :lol:

I would stay away friom the Winston's now since they went mainstream (Cabelas) I'm sure their QC is going to go way down :lol:

IMO a mid price 7wt 10' rod is what I would get. With a very good warrantee. The rods I use up here really take a beating from the split shot, flies and the shale. Did I say fighting the fish? Put your rod down to remove the hook and the fish flops right on the rod. Every new rod that has made it to the tribs always has scratches and dings after a season. I would not notice but I have goon through 6 orvis rods over the last 10 years each lasted 1 day to 3 years.
For the money you want to spend what about a switch setup?
CN

Thanks! Lots to think about. I have been wanting to fish for salmon. Coho, king and Atlantic. Would this rig be good for that? With what I have read so far, I guess my steelhead rig will be fine for steelhead? Would it also be fine for salmon? or maybe the sage/Abel rig would be better for that?

You need 8/9 weight for salmon imo. If you are wanting an all around rod for salmon and steel I would suggest a 10' 8wt. I had a St Croix Legend Ultra 10' 8wt ordered however it was back ordered until mid-November and needed something for an upcoming trip. I got a St Croix Legend Ultra 10'6" 9wt. Pretty awesome rod, though it is a heck of a stick. This rod opens light/medium salt for me.

Look at the 10' 8wt in the St Croix line up. The Legend Ultra is awesome and a great warranty, though for the roughness of steel fishing you may want to look at their lower price line up.

I would stay away friom the Winston's now since they went mainstream (Cabelas) I'm sure their QC is going to go way down

Silly troll. LOL. If that is the case stay away from St Croix, Sage, Loomis, etc as well because ALL the big boys have/are selling through the big boxes now. Frankly I see zero reason quality will suffer. It's not like it will be a huge sales boom for them anyway. How many folks walk through Cabelas door and buy a $700 rod? I mean unless you have a $150 off coupon or something. If one wants to be cheap, then one would buy it online. I think the Cabelas sells may be enough to supplement the sagging sales of the last few years. My guess is production will still be lower than it was a few years ago.

Having said that, I will let you know in 2-4 weeks how the quality has gone down when my shipments arrive! LOL!

Where did this idea come from, that winston's quality would suffer?
I own 7 including 2 BIIMX. No change in quality from the "out dated" rods.
And, in 6 trips to Alaska, I've never needed more than a 9 ft 7wt (winston BL5) except for kings (10 wt minimum).
Have caught hundreds of sea-bright silvers less than a mile from the gulf of Alaska up to 15 pounds and never felt under gunned.

Back