NEW reel

plombardo

plombardo

I am thinking of a new reel. looking at Sage 2050, nautilus fwx or Ross Evolution LT. anyone have any thoughts??

Just make sure it is NEW. Lol.

Don't care for Sage reels, all I know about Nautilis is typically salt water. Ross Evelution LT IMO. Nice reel, lots of metal, domestically made (?).

I have become a fan of the Lamson brand, from the Konic all the way up.

Although I own more Orvis branded reels than any others. I am sure they all make very good reels. For me, half the fun of new equipment is figuring out what to buy!

Sage reels seem to be awfully overpriced, but I'd sure like to one one of their Click series, which just look terriffic, as do some of the other ones in the lineup.

FWIW, Ross is a dedicated reel company with some history behind them, and is probably where I'd look out of those three.

Save your money and buy an Abel.

I picked up a Nautilus FWX for my 6 WT. I got the 7-9 model on the recommendation of the shop and the fact that it was not much larger / heavier than the 5-6 model - like 1/4 oz heavier if that. It's bullet proof, american made, pretty affordable. I bought an extra spool too so I can use it on my 7 or 8 WT in the salt too.

Highly recommend it (and I own an Evo and a guru too for comparison)

I swear by the Orvis Battenkill. I own 4 of them now. Had an STH and some other brand (can't recall) but dumped them for the Battenkill. For the price you can't beat them and they hold up increidbly well.

mrchunk are you talking loop evo?? Have a guru reel nice reel. wont fit my sage rods. I was thinking on get the larger FWX for my five weights.

Ross Evolution - sorry. Not the LT tho, the original. The larger FWX would balance out pretty well on a 5. I have it on a super light 6

If you want a drag reel, for the price, the Ross Evo is a hard reel to beat.

I've been fishing Ross for a long time and they have never let me down. Quick turnaround on warranty work also (only sent in for checkups).

Now, I haven't had to deal with them since the 3M buy out. I'm not sure if that has affected the product or the service. My feelings on Sage reels; Better to let the reel makers do their thing and they should focus on what they are known for.

I do like ross. but for the price Nautilus fwx 7/8

I could use it on everything...

Just a suggestion: Compare cost of spare spools, especially if you're going to use it on everything.

?? Your Lampson not fitting your Sage rod?
Probably a problem with your real seat and too much epoxy. I would send the Sage back and get it corrected.

Back