New pedestal base for a Renzetti vise

NetWork

NetWork

I have a Renzetti that I use as my primary tying vise. It has worked great for tying trout flies. I have started tying saltwater flies and I find the pedestal too light and not long enough, when I torque down the thread on some of flies, the vise tips over. I have been considering replacing it with the Renzetti Streamer Pedestal base, but it is pricey. Any suggestions for an alternative pedestal similar to the Streamer Pedestal base would be apprecIated.

I have a Renzetti that I use as my primary tying vise. It has worked great for tying trout flies. I have started tying saltwater flies and I find the pedestal too light and not long enough, when I torque down the thread on some of flies, the vise tips over. I have been considering replacing it with the Renzetti Streamer Pedestal base, but it is pricey. Any suggestions for an alternative pedestal similar to the Streamer Pedestal base would be apprecIated.
You can add an additional weighted base to your existing pedestal for half the price of a "streamer" base >

5” by 8” by 5/8” plate steel - Free
2” by 3/8 ID machine bushing - $7.00
1/4” post - Free
thumbscrew - 20 cents
old mouse pad glued to bottom - Free

vise base prices are outrageous. I make my own. All you need is a welder and a tap or a friend with a welder and a tap. This one weighs over 5 pounds, doesn’t budge and is better then anything Renzetti offers. I added a 1/4 post to except an LED desk lamp ($12.00) that I modified to attach to the base for traveling. Renzetti should be embarrassed selling a piece of painted plate steel for 70 bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_8406.jpeg
    IMG_8406.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thats a quality item right there

I make a point of having a clamp and base for my vice. Saves the headache and travels with a lot less weight.

You can add an additional weighted base to your existing pedestal for half the price of a "streamer" base >

Thanks. Somehow I missed this when I went through the Renzetti site.

1/4” post - Free
thumbscrew - 20 cents

vise base prices are outrageous. I make my own. All you need is a welder and a tap or a friend with a welder and a tap. This one weighs over 5 pounds, doesn’t budge and is better then anything Renzetti offers. I added a 1/4 post to except an LED desk lamp ($12.00) that I modified to attach to the base for traveling. Renzetti should be embarrassed selling a piece of painted plate steel for 70 bucks.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I don’t have the DIY tools needed to do this. $70 is a lot, but better than the $170 for their replacement base.

i know what I’m doing with the next hunk of plate steel I find. Again, renzetti should be ashamed of themselves. 170 for a base and 70 dollars for a paper weight. What’s the chance shipping is free?

Vise bases are universal. They either except a 3/8’s stem or a 10MM stem with 3/8’s being the more popular size. I believe Renzetti is a 3/8’s stem. I don’t know if there are other “streamer” bases out there but it’s worth a look.

i know what I’m doing with the next hunk of plate steel I find. Again, renzetti should be ashamed of themselves. 170 for a base and 70 dollars for a paper weight. What’s the chance shipping is free?

Vise bases are universal. They either except a 3/8’s stem or a 10MM stem with 3/8’s being the more popular size. I believe Renzetti is a 3/8’s stem. I don’t know if there are other “streamer” bases out there but it’s worth a look.
Thanks. I’ll keep looking around. Finding one that is not just heavier, but rectangular which would provide a longer base parallel to the vise jaws would also provide better support. The 6” square base on the Renzetti seems a little short for tying big streamers. Their streamer base is 6x8”.

In your Upgraded Stability base search, u likely already came to this.

I do not own the Peak .
( Bought Griffin Mongoose) few years ago

But, for same " stability" reasons
My research for stability feature led me to the

Peak Pedestal Base​

pricing, at the time , was not at the high end.

Thanks. I’ll keep looking around. Finding one that is not just heavier, but rectangular which would provide a longer base parallel to the vise jaws would also provide better support. The 6” square base on the Renzetti seems a little short for tying big streamers. Their streamer base is 6x8”.
Yes, that is why I made mine 8” in length.

Admirable &
SUPER impressive skills Mr Poopdeck👏👏👏
your to kind. It was nothing more then three holes, two plug welds, one thread tap and paint. I don’t even know how to weld, I just own a welder and can stick metal together with it.

1/4” post - Free
thumbscrew - 20 cents

that looks good. nice job.

Back