New pattern from the vise

Leteras

Leteras

Here is a new pattern I came up with for the steel this fall. I call it the Meat Wrench Caddis. I'll do it in other colors too. I think the blue color will do the best though. Give me some feedback.

Attachments

• Madison the meatball 064.JPG
    Madison the meatball 064.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 11

And people wonder why I'm uninterested in steelhead fishing, would you look at that thing?! What the hell is it?

Extended body is novel to a guy who doesn't look at these things, but I'm not sure what the shiny carp under it is supposed to represent? I guess its supposed to represent shiny stuff to attract dumb steelhead? I hate to repeat myself, but people wonder why I'm uninterested in steelhead fishing, would you look at that thing?! What the hell is it?

(see, positive reinforcement with backhanded commentary on the whole thing, rather than simply posting the name of a former crackpot senator, which is way OT jdaddy, unless bill frist fly fishes?!)

looks like a snagger to me but the fish might like it.

gfen wrote:

And people wonder why I'm uninterested in steelhead fishing, would you look at that thing?! What the hell is it?

Extended body is novel to a guy who doesn't look at these things, but I'm not sure what the shiny carp under it is supposed to represent? I guess its supposed to represent shiny stuff to attract dumb steelhead? I hate to repeat myself, but people wonder why I'm uninterested in steelhead fishing, would you look at that thing?! What the hell is it?

(see, positive reinforcement with backhanded commentary on the whole thing, rather than simply posting the name of a former crackpot senator, which is way OT jdaddy, unless bill frist fly fishes?!)

I guess you hate having fun - cause steelhead are fun- start swinging flies and you will really enjoy them.

Great looking fly. I would extend the body just a bit, maybe add a touch of red flash at the butt and a hot spot in the front on a few. What kinda bead are you using?

I am ready to start tying for the fall and am currently cleaning up the desk form a summer of neglect and laziness.

Letaras,
try using caddis green beads make the body tapered start wit small beads on the end next bead a lil bigger then two beads that are bigger then do your thorax with ice dub a lil black hackle collar or grizzly hen dyed brown for a small collar,get rid of that under flash under the body try wrapping flashabou in a blue pearl color around the shank if you must have flash.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:
try using caddis green beads make the body tapered start wit small beads on the end next bead a lil bigger then two beads that are bigger then do your thorax...

for crying out loud!
the guy finally ties a fly that doesn't wrap all of the way down to the barb and suddenly you're trying to modifying it?
give it (and him) a break.
looks nice to me

gutcutter wrote:
Lonewolve wrote:
try using caddis green beads make the body tapered start wit small beads on the end next bead a lil bigger then two beads that are bigger then do your thorax...

for crying out loud!
the guy finally ties a fly that doesn't wrap all of the way down to the barb and suddenly you're trying to modifying it?
give it (and him) a break.
looks nice to me

Literally LOL.

In a related note, I pulled a Gfen today and bought some packs of beads at 40% off at a craft store. You know when I was there buying bead clamps for putting feathers in the kids head . . . :roll:

I have always heard something along the line of, "Derp, derp, derp" when Gfen goes on about craft stores, but damn. Lonewolve, you talk about the caddis green beads, I assume Killer Caddis brand? The ones at the craft store are IDENTICAL. I have them side by side this very second. I got the Killer Caddis at the close out at a Lancaster fly shop on deep discount and they still look crazy expensive compared to the $.45 per HUGE pack of beads at said craft store. Gfen, I owe you something. Not an apology. That would be out of line. How 'bout some used line?

Executive summary : beads.

Bruno wrote:
I guess you hate having fun - cause steelhead are fun- start swinging flies and you will really enjoy them.

I've been told I'm mirth-impaired, yes. I also do not understand "whimsy."

You guys mean you don't shop craft stores??
must be nice to be rich or--

jdaddy wrote:
Gfen, I owe you something. Not an apology. That would be out of line.

I'll just take this moment of quiet victory, thank you very much.

When dragged to the broadwalk, I made note of kids with feathers in hair. Less than I expected, but mostly younger girls with hideously webby crap grade stuff in gaudy colours, not the fine stuff I see everyone bitching about. Yet, in the two stores I checked, they were selling the nice ones for not much more than the junk.

This fad baffles me with its stupidity. Also, thought about going back to house, getting travel kit, and setting up shop to milk dumb little girls for everything mommy and daddy had on 'em.

jdaddy wrote:
How 'bout some used line?

Is it sharkskin? Or just a 3WFF? Hell, I'll take a 3DTF if its got a moderate front taper. Explain why I keep buying 3wt rods, please.

in the land of the 6" brookie 3wt. is heavy artillery but TETO.

pete41 wrote:
in the land of the 6" brookie 3wt. is heavy artillery but TETO.

after a discussion with pcray, i decided brook trout are too much work.

If you get out west=plenty of streams loaded with nice brookies[12-14] nobody bothers them and the streams are pretty open and a royal wulff is enough-that's were the 2 and 3 wts shine as you are usually out of the wind.And no rattlers -lol

I like it.

Gfen, do you actually fish anymore?

lol-he caught a shiner on vacation.

Please, that's a spearing. Its very elite, my friend, its not just a minnow.. its a salt water minnow!

And no, Brookie, I don't. Haven't been able to. Don't blame me, blame medical science. I'll get a three week run of fishing, then I'm gonna have to hang it up again for fall.

No i wasnt referencing killer caddis beads i have a few packs from when i was hoarding materials but i have never used any go figure...
I do however and have used planty of beads from AC Moore Or Micheal's or Jo Ann fabrics,yea i do the craft store thing i also get sparkle yarn from Tucker's too as well as Kraemers textiles Allentown and Nazareth respectively.
And reason i said go to green for the bead color is that lil green rock worms are big part of lil steelhead diet when they are little before they smolt and head to the lake,I also use the beads for a nice effect on egg sucking leeches too.At least i wasn't tearing the guy down like some on this forum for posting a tie that he created and found effective and also shared..to those people go the Richard Noggin award.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Secondly Gutcutter i suppose you know a whisker about tying,you wouldnt want to ever tie a fly all the way to the barb on a scud/shrimp style hook it will affect the hooks ability to hook much less hold a fish.

Lonewolf that is a prototype. I was thinking of using a size #14 and scaling the beads way down and adding one turn of grizzly hackle behind the bead.

Back