New Member and a Pine Creek Question

1stfly

Hello all,

A bit about me - I'd first like to say this site is a good one for fly info in PA. I myself have just started to get into fly fishing, and am trying to get back into fishing for trout. I used to fish mainly for trout when I was younger and mostly fished the Tulpohocken creek and surrounding areas near Reading. I mainly now fish for bass and saltwater species.

I've started going on a camping trip with some guys I work with to Pine creek near Cedar run. We're going up this May 11-13 and floating and fishing the Canyon and down to Slate Run. Since I'm new to fly fishing I've checked out some dates of the hatches and it seems like during the time I will be there Blue Quill, March Brown, Light Cahill and sulfurs will be hatching. What are some flies that imitate this insects? Are there any other good flies to use? (wet, nymphs, etc.) I'd like to start tying up a few so that I have a supply for the trip. Thanks a lot

1stfly:

Make sure to call Slate Run Tackle (570-753-8551) in the beginning of May to get a good low down on what's hatching since water levels and temps can change things.

Pattern choices for the flies you describe can be the "classic" patterns for the flies or just a variation of body color with the same tie. I personally just tie the same generic fly adjusted for size and change body color, wing color & hackle color. For example: my Sulphur is a size 16 parachute or thorax with a yellow body, yellow hackle & tail and medium dun wing. My Light Cahill is a size 12 parachute or thorax with a cream body, cream hackle & tail and a mottled cream wing.

You get the idea...

Get your hands on a good book on hatches to find out the actual colors and size of the real bugs and go from there.

While specific patterns can be more fun, I like to have a bunch of different sized flies in light body colors, medium body colors, and dark body colors to cover those flies I didn't expect.

It works for me...

One fly I would add to your list would be a Yellow Sally Stonefly imitation which for me is as simple as a size 16 Elk Wing Caddis tied with a yellow body, the lightest Elk Hair you can find and yellow or light dun hackle.

I've had days up there where I needed nothing else to catch fish all day.

Don't forget to bring some stonefly nymphs (perla's) and some streamers to imitate the chubs in the stream. a white wooly bugger with some silver flash will work...

All of those patterns should be hatching plus what the others said and I'll add that Quill gordons and Hendricksons could still be hacthing up there as well and the green caddis that is so prolific on Pine Creek should be in full swing.
Have fun, I'll probably be up there again this year during that same time.

Back