New Kayak Questions

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Hello everyone. Haven't been around for a long time - didn't do much fishing or tying at all last year, but for good reasons, not bad.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Wilderness Systems Ride 155 with the MAX seat - very excited to get out there. I am going to try not to geek out on accessories and attachments, but I do have a couple general questions:

1. What length paddle do you recommend (I'm about 5'10")
2. Any general advice on "must have's" - like paddle tether, dry bag, etc.

Thanks for the input and maybe I'll see you guys on the water.

Steve

Attachments

• kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 6
Is that a 115? I'd go with a 240. I paddle a Predator MX and its very similar. I didn't like that hatch between my legs on the Wilderness Rides.

As for necessities...
*PFD
*Anchor trolley from stern to bow YakAttack makes a great one
*Drag chain (I use a dog retractable leash and heavy chain that I put heat shrink around).
*lots of leashes...make sure everything you own that you want to keep is attached to something one way or another.
*Milk crate...simple storage for behind your seat.
*Small first aide kit
*Dry bags
*if fishing later in the evening/night a 360 elevated light
*good pair of cutters/small bolt cutters (small tight areas make it easier to get hooks stuck in ya)

I'm sure I'll think of other things to add later!

Cooler

Beer for cooler

Bottle Opener for beer

BigJohn,

Thanks for the info - yes - it is a 115 (I typed 155).

Lots of DIY stuff out there, research and play with what you think you need... I think less is more!

I like to be able to fish a spot thoroughly but I find the anchor trolley is less useful to me on the river with much current where I swing from having the trolley mount on the side too far away from the bow or stern point. I have fashioned my own anchor wizard mount straight off the back now to remedy that.
Look at Bernie's River Stick as another shallow water anchor pole.

I agree with bigjohn, if you want to keep anything, have a way to secure it to the boat.

BelAirSteve wrote:
Hello everyone. Haven't been around for a long time - didn't do much fishing or tying at all last year, but for good reasons, not bad.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Wilderness Systems Ride 155 with the MAX seat - very excited to get out there. I am going to try not to geek out on accessories and attachments, but I do have a couple general questions:

1. What length paddle do you recommend (I'm about 5'10")
2. Any general advice on "must have's" - like paddle tether, dry bag, etc.

Thanks for the input and maybe I'll see you guys on the water.

Steve

I live on the Pa Del border if you want to head out sometime let me know . I have the attack 140 with all the trimmings. I would go with a paddle bigger then 140 I have a paddle that adjusts from 140 to 155 ands I usually go with the 150 setting on it .

Attachments

• Snakehead.jpg
    Snakehead.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
slay12345 wrote:
Lots of DIY stuff out there, research and play with what you think you need... I think less is more!

I like to be able to fish a spot thoroughly but I find the anchor trolley is less useful to me on the river with much current where I swing from having the trolley mount on the side too far away from the bow or stern point. I have fashioned my own anchor wizard mount straight off the back now to remedy that.
Look at Bernie's River Stick as another shallow water anchor pole.

I agree with bigjohn, if you want to keep anything, have a way to secure it to the boat.

I do the majority of my kayak fishing in the Susquehanna (West Branch and beginnings of the main branch) and I have never had my kayak swing in the current when using my trolley. You have to make sure you have the trolley go as close to the stern and bow as possible. Anchor Wizards scare me because they only have one place to deploy from and if you ever get stuck how to you reach back there to get unstuck? I do a lot of anchoring from the front of my kayak depending on the current. I often paddle up river deploy my drag chain in the front. Honestly I find myself anchoring or using my drag chain more from the front of my kayak then from the rear.

I thought hard about the Bernie's River Sticks...I did a tournament were several people used them and they are pretty slick. Problem I have though is that where I fish I have a lot of deeper water that it won't really catch bottom. There are so many ledges where I fish one spot I'll be in 3 feet of water and next thing I'm in 10. If you are fishing say 6 feet or less the majority of the time the River Stick would be a nice investment I think.

Get 2 paddles just in case both dont have to be anything special.

a hand help whistle !

sandfly wrote:
a hand help whistle !

YES! And a dull tipped knife (there are a lot designed for water safety). I have a whistle and a knife attached to my PFD. You never know if you do fall in and need to cut a rope that is attached or wrapped around ya and a whistle to blow for help.

Back