New Guy in Murrysville, need recommendations help for rivers that can handle a hard drift boat

R

redheadflyguy

I've a 16' hog island drift boat and looking for some water with a ramp that has minimal rapids. I'm excited about smallies and trout.

I saw a presentation by a guide who floats the Youghiogheny River for smallmouth. Somewhere downstream from Connelsville, I think. Maybe around West Newton. He had some photos of some nice looking smallmouth. I fished a little bit around West Newton just wading and caught a few smallmouth.

Not familiar with a drift boat or how shallow they can run but I kayak anywhere from Dawson down to the mouth at the Mon a good bit in the summer. Between Dawson and Buena Vista there are several riffle/rapid areas where I’ll bottom out if not careful. From Buena Vista downstream I can’t think of any sketchy areas. I’m talking summer levels of around 3.5 feet at the Sutersville gauge. Going at 4 feet is a big difference.

For ramps I’m not sure as a lot of my put ins are trails that go down to the river. Believe there is one at Smithton and definitely nice ramps at Boston and Buena Vista.

Welcome aboard. Maybe the Clarion River would work for a drift boat. GG

For a Mackenzie style drift boat your biggest issue will usually be less so the water itself and more so the presence or lack of good launches and takeouts. We’re blessed with some solid tailwaters in the eastern part of the state with established drift boat culture and infrastructure. I’d do some searches online on IG, Facebook, these and other forums, local guide services on rivers in the western part of Pa to see who is running what where.

For a Mackenzie style drift boat your biggest issue will usually be less so the water itself and more so the presence or lack of good launches and takeouts. We’re blessed with some solid tailwaters in the eastern part of the state with established drift boat culture and infrastructure. I’d do some searches online on IG, Facebook, these and other forums, local guide services on rivers in the western part of Pa to see who is running what where.
Clarion, Allegheny River

I've a 16' hog island drift boat and looking for some water with a ramp that has minimal rapids. I'm excited about smallies and trout.
Your best bet is the Middle Yough. Put in around Confluence area and drift down to Ohiopyle. I just did this a few weeks ago on a guide trip , great times. Few average Browns & a good 19” brown with a handful of smallies. You also have the Clarion River and The Little Juniata in
Altoona/Spruce Creek/ Tyrone area in certain sections. The drive to any of those is not bad at all. I go to all quite frequently. I live In Penn Twp/ Irwin. What area of a Murrysville you in ? Feel free to shoot me a message !

i second prince^^ we float the yough in our flycraft but have seen more boats recently..good fishing too

Sending a new rower into the rock garden on the yough... not the best idea. Also, where's the take out? I know of 2 but one is private. If you have a raft, you can bounce off of stuff, it's not the end of the world. Drift boats don't bounce, they stop dead. Novice rower + faster shallow section filled with rocks = boat getting spun and possibly flipped.

+1 to Bruno's suggestion below kinzua. Big water but not scary. All you can eat bass and some trout. Bottom end of yough might be better, conomaugh or lower Clarion too

I appreciate you. I've looked at the Yough on satellite. Have not floated it and could immediately tell no good for a hard boat. Reminds me of a time couple years ago when a fly shop employee told me the NOPO is fine for a hard boat. Last time I learn the hard way. That float from Kenzua dam on the other hand looks like fun.

Back