New guy here

N

No-nameCreek

Hello all. This is an awesome site, so I had to sign up. Flirted with fly-fishing for about 6 years, been fly-fishing hard for 2, so I'm not brand new. But I might as well be! I'm completely self-taught so most of my skills are probably lacking, especially catching trout.

I live in OH (stone throw away from PA), and I fish mostly in Mercer and Lawrence counties. I love to hunt too, and really have a hard time juggling everything! (deer/ ducks/ steelhead in OH/ turkeys/ trout in PA....) Next spring I will definitly be hitting it hard and ignoring the gobbling in the woods. Trout and flyrods have become my first love.

Look forward to meeting evryone!

No-name Creek..........Welcome to PAFF , coming on here is one of the best things that's happened in my flyfishing evolution. These folks will help you in so many ways with answers to questions , praise when you figure out something right , and redirection when you don't quite get it. Don't be leery to ask questions even when you think it might be a dumb question 'cause most of us have gone through the same thing at one time or another. You'll learn alot and as time goes on you'll be able to teach and help others a little passing it on so to speak. Welcome aboard , GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Welcome NoName!

Ask questions and chime in with your answers and opinions when you can. This is a great online community here.

Welcome!!
You'll find good info and good people on this site. Glad to have you on borard.

NnC,
Welcome to your new Favorite place out of the water.
TL,
Dave W

No name creek

Welcome, you'll enjoy your stay here!

PaulG

Welcome aboard!

Good bunch of people here and very knowledgeable.

Hello, and welcome aboard!

Welcome - How is the trout fishing in Ohio?

Couldn't tell ya... do most of my fishing in PA! The only places I know for stocked trout in OH (besides some stocked lakes) are a real long drive for me. I can be at Penn's a lot quicker than the Mad in OH! Haven't been up to the tribs for steelhead yet this year. Had a minor whitetail addiction this fall. Got a buck in bro-in-laws freezer, and by then the weather went way south. I'm sure theres some open water, just haven't gone up yet.

No Name,

Seeing your avatar, you forgot to mention that you hunt Grizz and collect their claws.

Are you sure you can skin grizz? You skin that one and I'll get you another one. LOL! Welcome Aboard.

I also packed a squaw, but I lodgepoled her for a Hawken rifle, Pilgrim.

I thought that was who that picture was......."skin him pilgrim" my favorite line from that movie was when Josie was telling the lady who lost her family in an indian attack "the indians won't bother you , they think you're teched" It's hard to fathom what folks had to deal with in those days , without all our toys and technology.

Welcome. I just recently joined as well and have found everyone to be great. A lot of knowledge and willingness to help. Merry Christmas all.

mcwillja wrote:
Welcome - How is the trout fishing in Ohio?

It sucks.

I haven't visited this forum in awhile, so I thought I'd check it out again. I'm originally from PA, but live in Ohio (barely).

There are 2 or 3 streams that are stocked with brown trout fingerlings, but I've never fished any of them. Mad river is one of them, and I'd guess it is the best of them. Visited one once just for something to do (looking for a place to camp). I wasn't impressed.

You can find info on the net.

I'm probably one of the few people who have caught stream bred brook trout in Ohio, and I found them without the help of the internet or any books. I've always said that if there are brook trout around, I can find them. Drove by this stream, and I said "dang, that looks like it ought to have brook trout." Maybe I smelled them. So one day I stopped and checked it out. Sure enough, I saw a few in a plunge hole (very tiny stream). I went back with the fly rod and caught a few to take pictures. Later I found that there were only two streams in the whole state that had reproducing brook trout, and the one I found was not native (the other was/is). they have been trying to raise them and reintroduce them into other streams.

Where was this? I'm not talking on the open forum, but the info can be found on the web. Brook trout are protected in Ohio.

Steelhead fishing in Ohio is pretty good though. they don't stock as many and there are bigger streams, which I think makes it better. However, I haven't fished for steelhead in Ohio for 8 or 9 years even though I live less than 30 minutes from Conneaut Creek and Ashtabula River, and work less than 10 minutes from the Chagrin.

I wish the stream on my property was bigger, I'd get brook trout started in there, but for now it is just a place to catch minnows for fishing in my ponds.

Ohio has great fishing for warm water species though.

FarmerDave,

Sounds like I live a little south of you. I am aware of the place the ODNR talked about a while ago on the brookies. About the place you found- that's really fascinating! I would never thought to look anywhere else besides the one that is a little more public knowledge. I'll just leave 'em well enough alone though. My luck is I'd probably accidently kill the little bugger!

I've also seen on the OH forum I belong to, some pics from the guys that fish the Mad and the others around there a lot. They catch some pretty big browns in there. I think a club owns a some of it, but other than that I know zilch about it.

In the time it takes me to get to the more fishable areas of tribs in OH, I can be in Tionesta which is more my speed. I know the area a little, but not all the little creeks yet. I know a lot of the guys on here know that area really well, but it's all new to me! I really look forward to hiking into some of them places. The Tionesta tailwater looks like it's worth a go in winter, maybe this weekend. Gives me the chance to snoop around a little!

Welcome aboard.GG :cool:

Welcome to the site NNC

Back