New fly tyer...to kit or not to kit??

K

Krex1010

Hello all, I’ve been lurking here for a while but haven’t posted yet. This is a great forum and I’ve really been enjoying reading all the discussions. I spent a ton of time fly fishing in my college years and early 20’s. When I was living in state college I probably spent more hours on Spring Creek and the Little J than I spent in class (and my gpa reflected that). Anyways, after a decade away from fly fishing I finally have time in my life to get back at it and spend time on the water.
I’d like to start tying flies and I could use some advice on getting started. Is a fly tying kit the way to go? Or should I buy everything separately? I don’t mind spending a little bit of money to get decent tools. But I don’t want to get a kit that has a bunch of stuff I don’t need or will never use. I rarely fish dry flies. 90% of my time is spent nymphing.....so if a kit is the best way to go, any recommendations on a quality kit? Pretty much any advice is welcome and would be appreciated.
Keith

No kit. Get what you need and only what you need and then build on that.

Tool kits are fine but stay away from kits that include material. The great thing about fly tying is you do not need expensive tools. Cheap ones do the same thing at the same level and will last a Life time. Nothing wrong with dropping coin if your into that but definately not needed when it comes to tying flies.

+1

I still have cheap vises from 30+ years ago. They hold flies that are drying, etc.

The main problem with kits is they have a lot of junk materials.

What you need:

1. * a functional vise that solidly holds a wide range of hook sizes.

2. a decent pair of scissors with small tips. They do not need to be fly tying-specific.

3. * a decent bobbin holder that allows you to put desired tension on your thread.

4. materials to tie the flies you want to tie. So, starting with a wooly bugger, for example:
* 3xl streamer hooks (#8 or 10)
* black 6/0 (or 70D) thread
* black medium chenille
* strung black blood marabou
* webby black hackle
* gold brassie-size wire
* lead-free wire (for weight, diameter to match hook, 0.02)

Optional:
1. * hackle pliers.

2. * whip finishing tool.

3. head cement (or Sally Hansen's Hard-as-nails)

I am probably forgetting some things, but this should be a good primer. If you want to spend as little money as possible, only get the stuff with * at a local fly shop (not online). It is helpful to have someone in person guide you with the selection of these.

Good luck and have fun!

I'll second this.^

Once you get some basic tools, give some thought to the patterns you wish to tie or expect to need the most and ask here. We'll help with some suggestions on materials, hooks, etc. As mentined , a trip to your local fly shop can help identify what you need based on patterns.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer and give advice. The idea of buying a basic tool kit sounds good to me. Seems like the kits that include materials probably have a bunch of stuff I’ll never need. Thanks again fellas! I’m sure I’ll be asking for material lists to get me in the game with the patterns I fish the most.

Hook and Hackle has a very nice 9 piece tool kit for $25.

if you live near philly,i can show you the basics.

i DID start with a kit ,and i am glad i did.

i think a basic vice,fiskars embroidery scissors,and a GOOD bobbin holder are the most important things. whip finish tool next.

you can half hitch with a pen tube.

raid the sewing box of everyone you know. silk thread is good to have.

just don't fall for every new material that comes along

good luck!!

**edit
actually ,before i got a kit,i tyed using hemostats and a pair of vise grips as my vise. i tied a lot of flies that way.

1. Type A Thompson vise (check amazon, ebay, or a friend)
2. One, bobbin
3. Thread Polyesther, Black, White, Grey, olive (JoAnn Fabric, Hobby Lobby, Friend)
4. Dubbing see (above)
5 Hooks Dry 2xl (Allen)
6. Feathers .....

Or go to a local fly shop (best option) ask about local fly tying club (best, best option)ask

Often members have tools cheap and material help get you started

Good luck with life long obsession.

I did a fly tying class with a local TU this past winter. A lot of them have these in their program. It helps tremendously understanding tying and they can help explain the materials and tools necessary and where to buy them cheap.

I would advise you to not buy a kit and rather you buy specific material separately. I would look into a local fly shop or TU chapter to see us there are any classes available. Here in our local TU chapter in NJ, we have free tying nights twice a month. They are free and open to all. We have donated vices and materials. It is a great place to learn without having to purchase anything. We also give advice to the beginners on purchasing materials. We are in Cranford NJ. You are welcome to attend if you are in the area.

Thanks again for the advice...and the offers to show me how to get started are extremely generous. Thank you.
I have tied some flies before, a friend in college that I fished with tied and he showed me the basics and I often used his setup to tie a a few patterns we fished often. I just never bought my own setup before. Until now.
Based on everyone’s advice, I bought the basic tools and a vise. I looked at the recipes for the 4 or 5 patterns I fish most often and bought the materials to get started on them. I spent about $130, which I consider to be fairly reasonable to get started from nothing.
Thanks again for the help fellas!

Fly-Swatter wrote:

Optional:
1. * hackle pliers.

I'd venture to move hackle pliers from "optional" to "part of your basic gear", especially for the price. Even an "expensive" pair will likely be cheaper than any other piece of gear you buy.

How goes the tying?

For videos, I find Kelly Gallup's a very good resource. A little verbose, he offers excellent tips about tying, fishing and simple fish catching ties. Of interest, he supports his recommendations with simple physics.

His caddis, hares ear, blue olives, are simple "guide" flies.

Good read "Essential Trout Flies" 2nd edition by Dave Hughes

Valid through tomorrow.

Hard to beat this deal!

http://store.hookhack.com/mobile/HH-Signature-Brass-Steel-Tool-Kit-w_pouch/productinfo/Z2079B/

kits are okay. just buy a good one

https://shop.flyfishsd.com/collections/fly-tying-kits/products/dakota-angler-economy-beginners-fly-tying-tool-set

https://shop.flyfishsd.com/collections/fly-tying-kits/products/premium-beginners-fly-tying-tool-set

http://tyingvise.com/product/hmh-tool-sets/

http://store.hookhack.com/HH-Signature-Stainless-Steel-Tool-Kit-w_pouch/productinfo/Z2079S/

https://store.flyfishfood.com/Fly-Tying-Kits-s/4041.htm

https://www.dyna-king.com/product/kingfisher-kit/

material kits

https://www.amazon.com/Hareline-Fly-Tying-Material-Kit/dp/B01MG1K933/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Hareline+Dubbin+Inc&qid=1559215562&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Fly-Tying-Material-Kit/744141.uts

https://www.murraysflyshop.com/collections/fly-tying/products/deluxe-trout-fly-tying-kit-vise-not-included

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 39+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)
22. Beads (not necessary to begin tying flies but if you really need them get them)

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

"The vice, bobbin, scissors and materials are fundamental."

Back