New fly angler from the Poconos

george_

george_

Hi, I’m George. My dad taught me how to fish when I was a kid and I rediscovered the hobby a few years ago. Chasing wild trout has become far more interesting to me than stocked fish, and brings me closer to what I have identified as the main reason that I fish - to go be in places where fish live.

I had been looking into fly fishing and made the plunge about a month ago. I’ve mainly been learning how to cast and handle line at a local pond, catching panfish and small bass on wooly buggers and hoppers. I’ve taken two trips to local wild trout streams and managed to catch a few trout on dry flies and I think I found my new favorite thing.

It’s been challenging to get a hang of and the more I learn, the more apparent it is to me how much there is to learn but I’m excited to do so. I will probably lurk mainly but I look forward to learning about fly fishing and our local waters from some other passionate folks with experience.

Thanks for reading!

Welcome from South Central PA. You'll fiond a lot of useful info and helpful folks on here.

Welcome 😃

What part of the Poconos are you from and where have you been fishing? There are many excellent stocked and wild trout waters in Monroe county. I've fished most but not all and I've lived in the Poconos around 20 years.

Thank you both! So I grew up in Mount Bethel and my dad and I mainly fished the Pequest and the Paulinskill in Jersey. I didn’t start fishing in PA until later in life. I’ve been in the East Stroudsburg area for ~4 years now, and I mainly fish Brodhead Creek, McMichael Creek, Pocono Creek, Bushkill Creek, Marshall’s Creek and Devil’s Hole Creek.

I am starting to use some resources from PFBC and maps online to take advantage of our state forests and game lands. Work has been kinda busy so my list hasn’t really been started yet but I’m looking forward to exploring and hopefully finding some fish!

Be careful on Devils Hole. Lots of poisonous snakes, cocaine addicted black bears and falling rock from frequent earthquakes caused by fracking in the area. Not to mention the biker gangs who kidnap and torture fishermen not using worms. If I were you as a new fly fisherman I wouldn’t go back there. 😉

Does Marshall's Creek hold trout? I've only caught panfish out of it.
Yes it does! I’ve caught some decent trout out of Marshall’s Creek.

Attachments

• IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 31
Back