New Fishing Kayak

Fredrick

Fredrick

This new fishing kayak looks like it would be good for Fly Fishing

http://drewgregory.com/go/2010/08/drews-signature-kayak-the-coosa-by-jackson-kayak/

pszy22 wrote:
The raised seat platform is an interesting concept.

I wonder about the effect on stability, though.

(says the man who can't swim and wants a watercraft)

I am impressed by the stability. If you look at the website, I think the seat can be adjusted up or down.

That is cool. I really like the raised seat. I've been wanting to get a sit on top for some time. For one they are unsinkable and you sit up a little higher.

I have an old Dagger sit in kayak and it gets a little cramped after a few hours and I don't like the seating position with my legs being confined inside for long periods.

It's been a good kayak, but I bought it just around the time the sit on tops were hitting the market. And it's dated. I almost bought a used Tarpon Sit-on-top last month but ended up buying a boat motor instead.

Another feature I really liked was the hull saver on the back. My kayak is almost worn through from years of abuse and dragging it through woods and river banks.

The higher seat probably wouldn't present a problem for static water fishing, but I would have to think that once you start navigating a moving waterway it could present a problem. The angler's center of gravity certainly is higher with that seat, although the effect may be lessened a bit by the wider platform of the boat.

I guess I'm a bit partial to my sit-on-top because that's what I learned to fly fish off of and it works well. I don't stand on mine although if I really wanted to I probably could. I just don't see the need to as the stealth mode offered by a kayak works wonders. Standing in a kayak just seems like a recipe for disaster to me particularly with trying to cast a fly rod. To each his own I suppose, but eventually the law of averages wins out and you're gonna go for a swim.

Neat to see all the new concepts for kayak fishing vessels hitting the market though. Tons of new ideas out there for this budding new area of fishing.

Back