New camera

Tucker733

Tucker733

I'm looking at buying a new camera to take fishing. I bought a gopro last year and liked it for fish pics and videos of up close things bit it really failed when trying to capture anything other than up close.

I'm ditching it and looking for a point and shoot with some zoom. I'm not that worried about being water proof and I don't mind spending around $350.

Any recommendations?

I have an Olympus TG-1 that I have been pretty happy with. I know they have made a few revisions to it over the past couple years.

TG-4 is their latest. Shoots in raw mode for editing software adjustments. Better low light than previous versions, time lapse setting, WiFi but only has 4x zoom. Been eying one for a while. Probably the best point and shoot outdorsy camera right now.

In the smaller point and shoots, as a very general rule of thumb, look at the actual, physical, lens size. Bigger lens = more light. More light = lower ISO and faster shutter speed. Lower ISO and faster shutter speed = better pictures when handheld in darker environments, including with a forest canopy, early morning, dusk, etc. Times when it matters most for fishermen. While I'm not up to date on the latest models and their specs, I'd tell you that given good lighting, they all take fine pics. They separate themselves in the lesser than ideal lighting.

Another rule of thumb is to ignore megapixel specs. Unless you want to make wall sized printouts, in today's day and age the number of pixels is FAR from the limiting factor in quality of your photos.

FWIW, my waterproof is of the Canon line, and I've been very happy. Best Buy and others won't sell the Canon waterproofs thanks to a contract with Olympus, they may even tell you Canon doesn't make them. But they're wrong.

The advantage way back then was that the Canon's were much faster than the Olympus's on the market. Started up quick, focused quick, saved pictures quick, turned off quick. I can go from off, on, focus, snap, off in a matter of about 3 seconds, whereas the Olympus Tough's didn't even turn on in that time. That's important to me in a fishing camera, especially when taking pictures of a live fish you want to release ASAP. The disadvantage of the Canon when compared to the Olympus was size, the Canon was a weird egg shape and doesn't fit in a pocket easily.

But, that was a long time ago and both brands have multiple new waterproof models out, and I don't got a clue about their specs, and assume both lines have improved upon their weaknesses. Nikon and others are involved as well. So take my advice more on what to look for in a fishing camera rather than a recommendation of a certain one. And don't assume the options available at Best Buy is all there is. You can always order from Amazon or vendors specific to the photo industry.

I'm a canon guy mainly for the color accuracy.
And, I've used their "canon loyalty program" twice now to upgrade after a few years of abusing my cameras. Here, you trade in your old camera for a later discounted,refurbished model which also comes with a full 1 year warranty.
If you can do with a little less zoom, and sometimes prefer more manual control over your shots, the S120 is a camera I would recommenced. The larger than normal sensor gives you a couple of stop in low light compared to many of the run of the mill type compacts. Of course you are going to sacrifice durability. compared to the rugged types.

Back