New Big Water Rod

F

fisherboy3

I have been fishing a lot of big water recently, water like the WB, EB, Main, Beaverkill, Broadhead, ect. Its time to retire the two piece Reddington RS3 I've had for quite some time now. Im wanting to upgrade to a 10' 5 wt so i can double haul even farther and make bigger mends when throwing dries and nymph rigs. Any ideas? The cost doesnt matter, ive had a seperate account for a new rod for a while now. I was looking into the Scott Radian in a 10 foot 5 wt, or the Helios 2 after hearing such good things. Maybe even a custom rod. The Sage One has gotten so much press and i dont really hear that many good things about it. Let me know what ya guys think..-Kev

Get ready for 50 subjective responses. IF you are going to carry only 1 rod, you may have make some sacrifices. Are you using it for dries / light nymphing or will it be your 'all arounder'?

Most of the 'tip flex' models will be great for line speed, tight loops and distance. You typically lose the ability to efficiently cast shorter distances or the accuracy suffers in close.

The models you mentioned are a bit pricey but a SERIOUS upgrade in technology from the R3. IMHO, you don't have to 'man up' $795 to get a great rod or see a marked improvement over your current stick.

I have little experience w/ Scott rods but the one's I've cast were nice. You may still be able to find an S4 905-4 for less than $400. It will fee like a broomstick compared to your current Redington. I've cast the ONE and the Helios2 (tip flex). After my TCR & TCX experiments, I swore I'd never pay that kind of money for a rod again. I said that prior to casting the Helios. Very impressive. Light, quick and strong. As expected, it sucked in close but not as much as other models I've cast. Still don't have one in the rotation though.

The other thing I'm not sure of is you interest in a 10' model. Mending or nymphing runs, you would have better line control but I'm not sure that you'd see a huge improvement in distance. Physics say yes.... opinion says meh.

I'll toss my opinion out there since you are inquiring..... Rather than spend $800 for one weapon, take that money and get 2 for the same price or less. Not only get 2 but in different weights / lengths. This gives you options in windy conditions or throwing some light streamers or big nymph rigs much easier.

Possible option #1:
Redington Vapen 9'6" 5wt

I just bought some Rio Gold back in april, so the line should be good for a while after some cleaning. Im also going to be looking into some used rods, i know a few shops locally that have some higher end rods at good prices.

Try and cast first if possible.

Turpin has a friend with a Z-Axis for a pretty good price. Its actually a z-axis blank and a custom rod that turpin built himself, with a feather inlay. Might have to scope this one out.

Do custom rod makers really make a better rod then a company that spends millions on research? I think not. I'm with kray more is better especially when you need an account to buy a rod.

Uhm the rod isnt a custom rod blank...its a Sage Z-Axis and its already made. I have a custom rod already from the same guy but with a superfine blank and the thing is mean...im gonna take a look at it real soon. Especially since they dont make a z-axis anymore.

Z-axis was arguably the most popular rod ever made. I have one. I prefer the St Croix legend elite over the Sage. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice stick but also think the marketing had a lot to with the popularity. During a hendrickson float this spring, I busted out my old RPL+ and forgot how good that rod was.

Unless you have a good 6 wt, I'll still suggest the 2 rod system of having a 5 and 6 weight instead of just a 5. If the water is up or the wind starts blowing, you'll be happy you've got a 6 wt. When floating, I typically carry two 5wt rods (maybe olive on long fine leader and a caddis on a slightly shorter leader) , one 6wt with a heavier leader for a dry dropper and a 6wt nymph rig. I know you plan on getting a boat in the future so diversity in you quiver is a good idea.

poopdeck wrote:
Do custom rod makers really make a better rod then a company that spends millions on research? I think not.

Most blanks that the major rod companies use are made by a few makers. Research really has nothing to do with how a rod is built. I'd take a custom built rod over a factory built rod any day. Think about it- it's the same blank but you get to decide what type guides, reel seat, wrap colors, cork, etc. and they are likely only making 1 rod at a time not hundreds. Plus a rod builder that is custom making you a rod is most likely going to take the time to ensure it's perfect so as to possibly sell you another down the road.

If cost isn't an issue, you may want to try out a Winston B3X 906. You can bomb it with that one and will still be somewhat effect close range.

Subject said Big Water rod, I thought you meant actual big water - SALT!

Well, Scott does have a point. LOL

I use a scott g 906 for the same water. Not 10' and slower than the rods you mention. You can probably find one for less than 400. This rod is very good for casting dries and protecting light tippets. I don't nymph a whole lot other than dry and a sz 16 or smaller dropper so I can't help you out there.

I would think a g2 906 would be similar. I've never used a radian. I probably have over a dozen scott rods, they make a great product. If you buy used and you break the rod its about $80 for a repair.

I would go with Kray's CPX suggestion - i have a 9ft #5 and 11'3" #7 CPX . both are execellent rods - which being made with Sage technology they should be.

however, i'd offer one thought - that for big water, subject to wind i would think about a #6 for that extra oomph to push your casts through the wind - it will also help with weighted streamers if the water is high.

i'd also ask what type of rigs are you looking to cast further - a faster action rod and faster line speed with the DH is not going to do you any favours with a hopper dropper set up or an indicator rig.

i'm actually thinking about an 11ft #5 or #6 for long distance hopper dropper nymphing and wet fly work.

Looking to throw dries/emergers/spinners further.

Fisher - going back to your original question - what's the best 10' 5wt - I'll give you a few things to consider:

1. 10' rods carry less resale value than 9' rods
2. Generally speaking they are softer rods, so I'd step up in action (ie go for a faster rod)
3. All your reasons for wanting a 10' rod are correct, they mend better and cast further, but they are less accurate.

With all that in mind, I'd look at the Sage ONE, Method, Scott Radian, & Hardy Zenith.

-Ben

Back