new addition to the bullpen

krayfish

krayfish

This just came in the mail today and I'm impressed with the work. I contacted Anglers Habitat to see what I could get a blank kit for. I then started talking to Ben and he gave me some trade in value for the stuff in my closet that hadn't seen daylignt in a while. I took my credit, added $25 more and he built this for me. My only requests were to have a 'cool' or different reelseat and for him to put the best cork he could get his hands on. I was wailling to pay another $20 for an upgraded cork. The wraps and epoxy look great. I believe Ben has built 5000 rods and it shows. If you were thinking of building a kit they have all inclusive ones. They also have a trade up program for equip you don't use anymore. Check them out sometime. Good guys too.

Attachments

• new fish pole (2).JPG
    new fish pole (2).JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 16
  • new fish pole.JPG
    new fish pole.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 4
  • new fish pole (1).JPG
    new fish pole (1).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 4
  • new fish pole (8).JPG
    new fish pole (8).JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 5
  • new fish pole (7).JPG
    new fish pole (7).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 4
  • new fish pole (6).JPG
    new fish pole (6).JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 4
  • new fish pole (3).JPG
    new fish pole (3).JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 5
  • new fish pole (4).JPG
    new fish pole (4).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 4
  • new fish pole (5).JPG
    new fish pole (5).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 4
Kray,

The rod looks awesome! I too am big on the way the cork looks as shallow as that sounds. The reel seat is cool...sort of zenith like but different. How do you like the recoil stripper? Does it make a louder noise with the line going through it? Best of luck and lots of fish with the new stick! Those vxp rods are sharp looking. Btw, how does it cast compared to your z-axis?

Strung it up and tossed it around in the dark. Couldn't see a thing but went on feel only. Rio gold doesn't like the snow. It got awfully stiff.

From what I can tell, it's going to be good for 25'-50' distances. Seemed a little stiff for 'in close' accuracy. I see it being used for light streamer duty, nymphing, big dries (drakes and such) or for windy days. It's not very similar to a z-axis other than reading 'sage' on the blank.

I'll try it in the daylight and 50 degree temps Saturday.

How do you think it will work with a bicolor indicator?

Rod looks sweet. Hope check it out sometime...
The two fenwick rods I built as a teen look pretty shabby compared to this.

Man those wraps are exceptional. That is some of the best custom wraps I've seen. Beautiful. But come on man, 50 feet isn't even getting that rod out of 2nd gear.

Nice rod. He did a great job building it.

That is a beautiful rod. Seems a little much for those little brookies you go after though. :p

Strung it up this morning in the rain with a leader and "yarn fly". Now that I could actually see, the rod wasn't bad at all at short range. At long range, it was about what I "saw/felt" in the dark last night. maybe a different line would get a slightly different performance a distance. Overall, pleased with the new rod. Seems to be a good all-arounder without dropping a ton of cash.

That TFO on the other hand.....15' 7wt sink tip on a 6wt Axiom.....start with sink tip out the top guide, backcast letting line out....haul and it shoots 70+ feet. Not sure how this weapon never hit my radar.

Shane, appreciate the offer but not interested. I'm straight.

McSneak, it's a perfect brookie harvesting machine. On the hookset, the sail right over your shoulder and up onto the bank where they belong. Gotta keep the raccoons fat and happy. LMAO

I thought you specified a cool reel seat?

Very nice! Thinking about a VXP 10' 7wt build.

Gary,

Considering how 'plain Jane' I am....that reel seat is outta control. :-D

Cool custom reel, reel seat, cork and rod....the full monty!

Attachments

• G's Junk.jpg
    G's Junk.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3
Is that thing even legal? LOL

krayfish wrote:
Is that thing even legal? LOL

Legal?!...lethal weapon, must be registered...

If you see G coming with this outfit....step aside!

great looking build!
Do you think the VXP is more like the old XP? I thought I read that they had similar tapers but the VXP was a little more "friendly" - what do you think - I was considering a VXP blank for a future build.

Thanks

I think you are required to take a horse drawn cart to the creek, wet wade in wool slacks and swing a brace of wets with that rod.....check your paperwork. :-D

Bobb,

I'd describe it as softer in the tip than an xp but stiffer in the tip than a z-axis....at least that's how it feels. A lot of reviews call it the best in that price bracket. The stock components would be better than a st croix elite but I think the elite is a nicer casting blank. The other thing I noticed while reading up on this model is how popular it iis with spey guys. They REALLY like this blank.

Thanks Kray,
A friend of mine really likes my 590 z axis but of course those blanks aren't available anymore - he doesn't like my 690 xp.
was considering the VXP in a 9' 5wt so your info helps.
Thanks

Back