New 70 year old rod

L

Lkyboots

I bought a South Bend Bamboo rod, model 59, a couple of years ago that was never used. I'm taking it out today for some dry fly fishing. Should be a interesting day. I understand they quit making these rods in the 50's so I guess we're about the same age.

I put some work and $ into my grandfather's Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod.

Art Weiler, in Kunckletown, PA did the work and did a great job.

The best $180.00 I ever spent.

Vintage 1964.

congrats on the South Bend - thats some history there. Load her up --- and let her rip!!

a while back -- i was able to get my hands on a original Wright McGill Trailmaster - circa late '50s / early 1960's. "Made In Denver Co.", 4 piece fiberglass, 7 foot , all nickle silver, old style line rating, Granger - style reel seat --- had to change the stipping guide to accomodate our modern fly lines. Throws a 7wt WF with authority -- but also with grace. The rod is in perfect condition --- got the original screw top tube as well.

Then was able to acquire a Perrine "Free Stripping" automatic fly reel --- from Biff's Gun World in Louisville Ky -- checked the serial # --- circa 1950's. All metal, nickle silver lever ..... found it in the bottom of a box of Zebco 202's .... totaly frozen.

You take your items up to Biff --- who is sitting behind the counter in front of 100 Renington pump action 30-6's .... and you haggle. I pointed out to Biff " its totally frozen up, unusable --- just want it for a coffee table". Boom --- $25.

Took it home, opened her up --- totally jammed with silk fly line, dacron backing, sand, old grease, etc. Cleaned that reel out, gave her a loving treatment of Ballistol ---- runs like a Swiss watch.

this outfilt is SO balanced --- you'd think it heavy --- but doenst feel or act that way. I love using it on Penns during the GD.

Use that SB with pride ---- and all the young guys will want to see it!!

good luck!

Dear Lkyboots,

A couple of years ago I bought a perfectly fishable SB 24 rod on Ebay.

I took it to a buddy who was setting up to rebuild and restore old bamboo and fiberglass fly rods. He redid the whole rod with variegated SB silk thread and even made me a couple of guides and blued them, to replace a couple of chromed guides on the rod, so everything looked as new.

It's a nice rod for bass and panfish when paired with a Cortland Sylk WF7 line.

Yes, the South Bend 2 digit rods were originally bass rods. But remember, in the 1950's and early 60's only the "fancy" fishermen had rods with line weights lighter than 6 or 7. It can definitely be used for trout fishing.

Have fun!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

A search on this site will yield quite a bit of discussion on the SB 59.
No need to join unless you want to engage. Though not currently the most highly regarded rod of the SB line (that would be the 8.5 ft 323 with 17/10 ferrules for trout), in its day the 59 was the most popular.

Classic Fly Rod Forum

A bamboo six weight is an excellent choice for PA trout fishing!!

Don’t forget, unlike a plastic rod, this will protect tippet like a three weight, fight like a four weight and throw line like a six weight.

You might find it hard to go back to a plastic rod after you fight your first fish on this.

Congratulations!!

I like my old rods. I still use my old Shakespeare Wonderrod I got for my birthday when I was a young lad back in 1967. My old Orvis Bamboo rod was made in 1985. My newer rods are close to 20 years old. I did buy a new pair of Dryft chest waders that have a zipper. Sure makes it easy to get them on and taking a leak. My old Orvis vest is probally 30 years old. I did buy a Orvis wading staff this year. Sure has come in handy wading and getting up the creek banks.

That old South Bend is a little heavy but it'll work on the streams I'm fishing. I'll probally hang it back on the wall after I fish with it a couple of times. My favorite rod is the Orvis boo rod, it's a 7/12 4 weight. I've caught a couple of 20 inch plus Browns and Rainbows with it. I'll probally never buy another fly rod, those will last me till I'm done fishing. Keep a tight line and good luck this season.

Lkyboots:

Twas a time when a 5wt was considered light and a 6wt or 7wt was what you used in bamboo or glass.

Today fly fishermen sneer at any rod over two ounces and are filled with terror at the thought of the highly evolved Mensa trout of the 21st century who laugh at any fly presented on anything heavier than a 4wt.

In the meantime, I have an 8’6” 7wt 1947 Orvis Bakelite bamboo and a 1981 8’6” 6wt Orvis Limestone Special, also bamboo in my regular rotation.

Both put a huge smile on my face when I use them and not one fish I've caught has complained that they are not tactical enough. ;-)

Enjoy your rod and if you are crazy like me, try a REAL silk line on it for a real treat!!

Back