new 4wt ?

skiltonian

skiltonian

I have a sage vps 7.5' 4wt and loomis IMX 9' 4wt, niether of which i'm really excited to fish with - thinking for x-mas its time for a new 4wt. looking for a rod around 8' and $300 preferrably under. The primary purpose for the rod will be to strip smaller streamers and would like something on the faster side and accurate. I'm thinking of a used sage XP or TXL but the coltons IM10 has my interest at $135 with shipping. So, whats everyone's favorite 4wt? what else should I consider (new or used)?

9ft 4wt helio mid flex or supefine 7ft 4wt. In that price range tfo or clearwater would be hard to beat!

I like Redington CPS/CPX rods. I do not have one, but my father bought one after my recommendation. Lightweight, fast, $300. I would buy it in person though. I have seen a few where the guides do not line up straight enough for my liking. I was told by a rod rep that this might be due to the drying process used on foreign made factory rods. (I will not buy a rod if the guides do not line up almost perfectly, OCD I guess.)

If you want a $300 new 8' 4wt look at the St Croix Legend Ultra 8' 4wt. I love that rod. Use it all the time.

I have a redington cps 7 1/2 ft. 4wt. it's a great fast action rod.

Sage "Flight" series. Fast action and decent price.

I like my TFO Pro. It's not fast but that's okay.

I've got an SLT 8'9", but it's a 3wt. Lemme know if interested in that.

thanks David, I have a 8.5' GL4 in a 3wt so i'm really looking for a 4wt . just want something to fish streamers but in a lower weight to feel the little fish. I'm leaning towards a 7'10" TXL and found one for under $300 with warranty card. maybe the next thing I'll want is a short 6 weight for bigger flies...hmmm maybe i'll build that this winter.

Reddington Rs4 Love this rod.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS385&q=Redington+Rs4&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4231165862578020668&ei=FjL4TPqyN4O0lQfZq939Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ8wIwAA#

The 9ft rs4 is a pretty sweet rod!

One day i will upgrade to a Sage, But I love my Rs4 5/6 wt combo with the Rise reel for the Lehigh.

Why don't you two get a room? We get it. You don't hate each other any more. You kissed, fondled and made up. Move on!

JDaddy your on crack

Maybe it is because Alpa is free now, he can fish more so more laid back. Something I need to do reaaaal bad. Watching the snow fall and was thinking of trying the zebra midges I tied up, want to make some in 20 before I go out, maybe tomorrow, I have off.

I'm with Jdaddy on the St Croix legend Ultra. I really like the rod And it handles a larger fly than you'd think for a 4wt. The place I bought it had free shipping and threw in 10 dozen flies for $300.

Ya, I lucked out and got mine for a lot less than retail. I was suprised when I pulled it up yesterday and saw how much it was. I won a St Croix Legend ELITE and sold it on ebay, brand new, and only got $275 for it! Watch ebay for an Ultra. When I check completed auctions for the Ultra they were closing at around $150 when it was auction versus "but it now".

Back