Net Solutions

P

podflyguy

Anyone have a good solution for carrying a small trout net with a chest pack? I have an older WJ confluence pack with the zippered enclosures and have never found a good way to carry a net. I have tried using a large carabiner/zinger, but this prevents opening the backpack pouches and also lets the net swing and catch on every branch on the walk to the stream.

I’ve considered switching to a sling pack or back to a vest. Curious to hear your replies.

Nets can be a hassle for sure.

I don't even carry one - unless I'm on a stream where I'm likely to catch big fish.

I see more and more people just stuffing them down the back of their waders
Don't know if they're attached somehow or not

On the rare occasions I carry a net, it is always in some kind of open pouch or "holster" hung from a belt.

If the net didn't come with a pouch, I made one for it either out of leather or had someone fabricate me one out of heavy 1000 denier Cordura with a grommet for a drain hole.

No muss, no fuss, no snags.

When fishing places where dropping it means losing it, I will tether the net to the belt with a Gear Keeper retractor designed for nets.

Thanks for the replies. Bamboozle, I’m not quite as handy as you. But, I really like that idea. Fishpond has a wading belt with a molded net pouch. Maybe I will give that a try.

Make a hook for the net to place on your wading belt. You could use a mettle spatula handle. I found the idea on the internet.

Make a hook for the net to place on your wading belt. You could use a metal spatula handle bent in a lightning shape. I found the idea on the internet.

I use and like the Rising molded holster. http://www.risingfish.net/product_detail/253/universal-net-holster-the-answer

The most convenient net to carry around is this...
https://www.handypaknetco.com/
Very light, convenient and easy to use. Hangs on your belt out of the way and you don’t notice it once you start fishing. Unfortunately it’s not a great net. It’s not bad, just not great. The thing you have to get used to most is that the basket is flexible. So when you dip the net in the water to scoop, the net bends some so it’s a little harder to scoop and you have a little less control of the fish once in the net. Not a dealbreaker but something to be aware of. Compromises that come with the convenience. Also can be dangerous...the net definitely flips out with enough force to hurt someone...definitely do not open near anyone or near any part of your body. If you insist on a convenient net this is the best way to go.

podflyguy wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Bamboozle, I’m not quite as handy as you. But, I really like that idea. Fishpond has a wading belt with a molded net pouch. Maybe I will give that a try.

If you want it to be perfect, try giving Etivise at Harding & Sons a call. Besides making the best rod storage bags out there, she will make you just about anything custom if you design it.

After finding out Harding & Sons used to make the net holster for McLean Nets in New Zealand, I had "Vise" fabricate me some net holsters for some folding nets I own, made out of Cordura with a belt loop and a plastic grommet for a drain hole.

It is a pretty easy fabrication for her, all you need to do is decide how wide & deep you want the pocket and how wide you want the belt loop to be.

Trust me you WON'T be disappointed in the workmanship. I own a ton of her rod bags and custom stuff I designed and couldn't be happier!

Thanks all. Looks like a net holster is the way to go. Will give this a try!

Back