Net Problems

F

fisherboy3

Hello all, and Happy Holidays! I have a question though. I recently had bought a new hip/waist pack to replace my fishpond, and i like the switch-over very well. But for you that fish with hip and waist packs, how do you guys carry nets? Im not really sure how to stick my net along with me. I will be fishing a friends private water this weekend with some pretty hefty fish in, and will definitley be needing my brodin. Any suggestions? -Kev

I see alot of guys tucking them in the back of their wadingt belt between the waders and the belt with a tether incase it gets loose.

Poor design in my opinion. Heres an option for you, william joseph makes a pack that has a loop on the strap that goes around your neck for your net attachment. My old chest pack didnt have this(simms). One of the reasons I fish primarily with my fishpond wasatch pack. After fishing a full year with a net, I dont see any reason NOT to use a net every single day.

You are not alone in trying to solve this problem. I switched to a waist pack for much of my short outings. I generally stick the net handle inside my wader belt with the tether attached to the pack. No problems so far.

Here's one possible solution. Link. Kind of pricey, but I've never seen another product like it.

Another option:

http://www.williamjoseph.net/gear.php?userChoice=Hooknet

I wouldn't trust the "hook" to keep the net attached while crawling around - I'd still have to tether it.

Dear fisherboy,

If you have any d-rings on your waist pack you can do like people did in the old days and hang the net from a retractor attacted to the d-ring.

We used these retractors back then. I never saw one break and if you snagged your net a tree limb the retractor would eventually either stop you from walking or the tree limb would release the net and it would blast you in the back.

http://www.avidmaxoutfitters.com/p-4659-anglers-accessories-standard-net-retractor.aspx?catargetid=1391382591&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNbo6vvJtbQCFQJx4AodYzMAoQ

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have a Fishpond Arroyo(spelling?) chestpack although I always use it as a hip/waist pack. Whenever I use a net I just tuck the net handle in between me and the pack and clip the elastic string/clip thing to the pack just incase it would happen to get stuck on brush or something and fall out. Never had any issues.

I use the magnetic net holder both on my larger steelhead net and my smaller local trout net. They work great and you could fasten it to the waist pack at any loop.

Get a jacket with a fabric D-ring on the upper back of it.

Biggie wrote:
I use the magnetic net holder both on my larger steelhead net and my smaller local trout net. They work great and you could fasten it to the waist pack at any loop.

Yup that's what I use too - if the net catches on anything the magnetic links part and you just snap it back together. It's not an orvis product but i bought from their store.

It's one of the advantages of wearing a fly vest, you can hang a net down your back out of the way.

A Drink goes down the front of my waders and a energy bar in the front pocket, my rain jacket goes in the back of the vest, and then I'm set all day.

Better for deep wading too imho.

Back