Net help

F

fisherboy3

Since being from Long Island NY, i never really need to have the use of a net because simply the trout are much smaller. Only native brooks in the Carmans, and some stocked browns are all i catch. But in the next couple of weeks i am going to be fishing the pequest river in new jersey, where larger fish are quite prevalent. I was looking at a brodin ghost net, with the clear mesh bag. But do i really need the ghost mesh? or does it not really matter?Should i just get a regular brodin net then? Let me know-Kev

Brodin nets are really nice. The ghost netting is cool, an the fish are less likely to run when you are bringing them to hand on account they see the net. I plan on getting a new brodin for chirstmas, I lost my last ghost net. If you do get a brodin without the ghost, you can always order a ghost net an swap out the stock net.

The main reason for me getting the Bodin Ghost net was not exactly for the fish. I normally fish with 2 and 3 fly rigs and the flies do not get all tangled up in the ghost netting saving me time. Before the Brodin there were times I would not use my nylon net just to prevent the tangled mess in the net.

Thanks

Rick

The Fraybills from Cabelas and Bass Pro have similar clear bags. They are a bit heavier than the Brodins though. I have one I'll sell ya if you are in the Reading area. $20.

Phish_On wrote:
The ghost netting is cool, an the fish are less likely to run when you are bringing them to hand on account they see the net.

Come on, did you really mean that? They can see 6x tippet for crying out loud.
The plastic netting - whether it be clear, black or chartreuse is the key to not getting your fly or flies stuck in the mesh.
Also, it is reported to remove less fish slime, thus easier on the trout.
A cheap version will suite you well, if you are only going to use it occasionally. Brodin also sells the bag (as described above) to fit existing net frames from various companies. Get a tape measure and put it to your existing net and have at it.
Having said all of that, I own a Gallatin Ghost...

Gut, I agree completely however that is one of the marketing tools that these clear bag people use and it seems to be embraced by the angling community. I would suggest that a fish is so traumatized at the point landing that the net is not the strangest thing going on around him.

Fraybill also has a light aluminum frame with the clear bag which has a very favorable weight. Again, at Cabelas.

C'mon they don't see 6x, they see its drag. So, as long as you net WITH THE CURRENT, they'll never see the net's bag drag and you'll win, right?

I'd like a rubber net, they weight too much. My "catch and release" net will have to continue to do. Get it wet first.

RickinPa wrote:
The main reason for me getting the Bodin Ghost net was not exactly for the fish. I normally fish with 2 and 3 fly rigs and the flies do not get all tangled up in the ghost netting saving me time. Before the Brodin there were times I would not use my nylon net just to prevent the tangled mess in the net.

Thanks

Rick

What he said.

Fisherboy,
I highly recommend the use of a net when landing fish if you seek to photograph them.
Different nets have their fans. My personal view is that you want a very deep bag. The popular rubber bag nets discussed above are usually rather shallow. A deep bag will allow you to keep the fish in the water while you fumble with your camera or wait for your buddy to come up to take the pic. If you try to put a shallow bag net in the water, the fish will simply flop out. Avoid the "catch and release" nets as their bags are way too shallow.

Plus one on the one from cabelas. I couldn't bring myself to spend a hundred for a net.

Be aware that those Fraybills are made of pine or other soft wood. I've broken 2 so far which makes the $100 net not such a bad idea if it's made of more durable material.

krayfish wrote:
Be aware that those Fraybills are made of pine or other soft wood. I've broken 2 so far which makes the $100 net not such a bad idea if it's made of more durable material.

Liquid Nails is your friend. I use my net to smash tree limbs out of reach to reclaim lost flies. I've reglued mine more than once.

If you broke two wooden nets may want to consider a metal frame one? I have to know how you broke them?

One net was smashed when climbing down a bank on the East Branch of the D. The rock I stepped on gave way and ended up on my back with the next crushed under me. Ended up with a split open elbow and 4 sections of net frame. The second one cracked when I lobbed it 5' onto the bank (by my vest) after releasing a fish. I'm guessing that's when it happened but it may have been cracked prior to the toss. In case you were wondering, broken nets into the back don't feel very good.

Y'know, none of that surprises me.

Lol sorry about your luck. Mines not much better but have yet to break mine, keeping fingers crossed.

which part doesn't gfen? my releasing the fish or the part that I fell? lol

Back