Nesquehoning Creek

Does anyone know if Nesquehoning Creek has ever been stocked with brook trout?
Don’t know for sure but there was a huge brook trout hatchery not too too far from there near paradise creek. If you mean recently i don’t know but its probably a safe bet that it has been stocked with brook trout at some point. Base that off the fact that it was just so wide spread but have absolutely nothing to back up.

Does anyone know if Nesquehoning Creek has ever been stocked with brook trout?
PAFB biologist for region might be best place to start. EBTJV has so many tools there is one where they look at markers and sample trout from PA and look for genes associated with hatchery strains and show pie charts but i think thats more regional not stream specific. Have to dig it up I forget.

And full disclosure, i should have mentioned, if your AFM or regional biologist says its not being stocked, thats to best of their knowledge. This is Pennsylvania wild wild west of bucket biology. If you can get your hands on the fish anyone can and does just toss them where ever they please with no regard for the ecosystem with extremely few exceptions. There is a class A in coal country near me and some group stocks trout just downstream for the sole purpose of fundraising. None of this stuff is documented or recorded so to answer your question partially they way we run things in Pa we prob won’t know.

I have caught stocked brookies there but it is very uncommon. I think it is just the odd ball fish or three that get mixed up in the runs at the hatchery. Definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Is there anything that would prevent stocked fished from the Lehigh from entering and moving upstream?

I believe Lake hauto stocks trout. Not sure the amount or type. That could be a source albeit via a very circuitous route.

Lehigh could be a source. I am not aware of any obstacles impeding fish but I am also not intimately familiar with lower sections of Nesquehoning.

I believe Lake hauto stocks trout. Not sure the amount or type. That could be a source albeit via a very circuitous route.

Lehigh could be a source. I am not aware of any obstacles impeding fish but I am also not intimately familiar with lower sections of Nesquehoning.
There’s no physical barrier. There’s an AMD discharge in the last couple hundred yards before the mouth, though I suspect fish could make it through that short stretch of impaired water if they wanted to.

And full disclosure, i should have mentioned, if your AFM or regional biologist says its not being stocked, thats to best of their knowledge. This is Pennsylvania wild wild west of bucket biology. If you can get your hands on the fish anyone can and does just toss them where ever they please with no regard for the ecosystem with extremely few exceptions. There is a class A in coal country near me and some group stocks trout just downstream for the sole purpose of fundraising. None of this stuff is documented or recorded so to answer your question partially they way we run things in Pa we prob won’t know.

Just a few criticisms. The only thing anyone can ever share is information that is "to the best of their knowledge." To legally operate a tournament or a derby in PA, then yes, you need to get a permit and notify the PFBC of the derby/tourney's locations and parameters. Derby's are typically more of the PA style for trout, so if they are being held in a stocked trout water and the derby organizers are stocking more trout the PFBC wants to know. To state that none of it is documented or recorded well then they are doing a poor fundraiser. Fundraisers typically need to advertise and would also hope to attract more than 10 participants (a definition of a derby) which means that by law the PFBC is aware because a form has been submitted to the agency. If you think this is being done in secret, then feel free to report them so hopefully they follow the rules from there on out. So to say that there is no record or thought given to where people can legally hold such things is false and the PFBC is aware. Private pond waters not open to the public and not connected to other systems are able to be stocked and done with what the landowner chooses. And absolutely people can and do stock places for their own fishing enjoyment without anyone ever knowing. I know of one stream here in Mifflin County that people stock with rainbows.

The only other criticism is that of blaming PA for being such bad "bucket biologists." Sure, we have people that do a lot of stupid stuff and move things where they shouldn't, but so do lots of other states. Stupidity doesn't stop at our state border.

Just a few criticisms. The only thing anyone can ever share is information that is "to the best of their knowledge." To legally operate a tournament or a derby in PA, then yes, you need to get a permit and notify the PFBC of the derby/tourney's locations and parameters. Derby's are typically more of the PA style for trout, so if they are being held in a stocked trout water and the derby organizers are stocking more trout the PFBC wants to know. To state that none of it is documented or recorded well then they are doing a poor fundraiser. Fundraisers typically need to advertise and would also hope to attract more than 10 participants (a definition of a derby) which means that by law the PFBC is aware because a form has been submitted to the agency. If you think this is being done in secret, then feel free to report them so hopefully they follow the rules from there on out. So to say that there is no record or thought given to where people can legally hold such things is false and the PFBC is aware. Private pond waters not open to the public and not connected to other systems are able to be stocked and done with what the landowner chooses. And absolutely people can and do stock places for their own fishing enjoyment without anyone ever knowing. I know of one stream here in Mifflin County that people stock with rainbows.

The only other criticism is that of blaming PA for being such bad "bucket biologists." Sure, we have people that do a lot of stupid stuff and move things where they shouldn't, but so do lots of other states. Stupidity doesn't stop at our state border.
If you read my first post a little more carefully I would point out I said with few exceptions. Meaning that there are exceptions.Many other states have stocking permits, even for private fish and private waters i believe. And just because i used the term bucket biologists I wouldnt go as far as to call these irresponsible people stupid, they just have not been educated and thats pa fish and boats failure because the fish commission has actually taught them to value the opposite and promotes it hatchery program online and in real life instead of their wild native fish. Alot does change when you cross into PA and bot inna good way. As far as private stocking the answers are well researched and layed out in the above article I posted. Private stocking a public problem.

And there are around 560 ish private hatcheries in PA that get fish from the USDA every year. Many if these hatcheries have 3-5 locations each and count as one entity registered with USDA getting fish. Their not all kids rodeos obviously. There is no way to track where all those trout are going…..thats a problem if your trying to seriously manage sensitive aquatic PA wild life negatively impacted by hatchery brook trout or hatchery invasive trout species.

The cooperative hatcheries are required to file a report annually with the PFBC on the streams they stock. So that information is recorded and on file. The PFBC does not publish this information, but you could ask for it. I looked through the reports, but that was over 30 years ago. The reports probably have changed since then.

I hope so! At that time many of the reports just had names of streams, without the location or even county. If a report says "Laurel Run" that doesn't help you much. And the reports didn't specify the stretch stocked.

There’s no physical barrier. There’s an AMD discharge in the last couple hundred yards before the mouth, though I suspect fish could make it through that short stretch of impaired water if they wanted to.

You are correct.
I thought LRSA put some sort of passive treatment system there a number of years ago ca 2005

The cooperative hatcheries are required to file a report annually with the PFBC on the streams they stock. So that information is recorded and on file. The PFBC does not publish this information, but you could ask for it. I looked through the reports, but that was over 30 years ago. The reports probably have changed since then.

I hope so! At that time many of the reports just had names of streams, without the location or even county. If a report says "Laurel Run" that doesn't help you much. And the reports didn't specify the stretch stocked.
Yea I have seen that information with my own eyes, if you can read chicken scratch on paper stocking receipts or PDF’s of them then its out there for you if you ask like Troutbert said. I was referring more to the USDA fish as far as private but yea for state sponsored fish husbandry its all recorded.

And there are around 560 ish private hatcheries in PA that get fish from the USDA every year. Many if these hatcheries have 3-5 locations each and count as one entity registered with USDA getting fish.
Could you give us more detail on this? Is there a listing available of these 560 private hatcheries in PA? That's a very large number.

Also, what do you mean about them getting fish from the USDA? Does the USDA have hatcheries, and they ship fish to private hatcheries? I've never heard of this.

With all do respect can we get back on topic please.

When it became an approved trout water, yes, it was stocked with brooks.
I helped a number of years back.

Back