Neshanock Creek - Thoughts?

steveo27

steveo27

The weather is finally starting to break. Most of the ice has melted off the creeks here in northern Westmoreland County following the rain storm on Tuesday. I need to scratch my fishing itch and plan on doing it this Sunday if the weather stays decent.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the DHALO section of Neshanock? Is there still ice on the creek or has it melted off? I was up near Portersville last weekend and the stretch of Slippery Rock Creek that goes under 422 was open.

The Neshanock is scheduled to be stocked Saturday, which leads me to believe its mostly opened up. Everything around here that was scheduled to be stocked this past week has been rescheduled because it was frozen over.

The stream report on the NC fly shop's page says "The stream was starting to open up, but still a lot of ice". Im really hoping this changes in the next day or 2.

Id really appreciate if any can provide some info on the streams current condition. Id really hate to drive the hour and a half and the stream be frozen solid.

Thanks

call Bob at the shop

I believe the stocking has been postponed. The lunker stocking is still scheduled for next weekend. The stream is completely iced over in many areas.

On the PAFBC website, it says stocking is postponed to 4/1.

Can't say for sure, but last time I took the ride up, there was still a ton of shelf ice. The pool behind the shop was reduced to a 2 foot wide channel. It was still fishable in other spots, but not the kind of water you're going to be finding many fish in 32 degree water. Don't think if I would drive that far seeing as its probably pretty similar.

It's locked up pretty good. Once the ice breaks up I imagine we will be dealing with high water for a while anyway.

steveo27 wrote:
I was up near Portersville last weekend and the stretch of Slippery Rock Creek that goes under 422 was open.

Slippery Rock is likely ice free in that section due to water coming out of Lake Arthur via Muddy Creek. There is probably still significant ice in upstream areas.

Thanks for the info guys. The stocking was indeed postponed due to ice and most of the creek is still iced over.

Time for a backup plan.

Cheers

Back