Need Technique for Securing the Stick on Eyes

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Hello, I am tying up some streamers with stick on eyes. Looking for reliable ways to get them to stay. Durability is a priority. Hard as nails?

Thanks in advance

For stick on eyes my preference is to mount them on plastic.

Get a clear plastic lid or cut out some strips from a water bottle or something like this, just make sure to use clear plastic, not tinted or translucent (although tinted can produce some cool results).

Cut a teardrop shaped piece with the wide "bulb" of the teardrop about the diameter of the stick on eye. Scuff that end of the plastic a bit, I like a swipe with a small piece of sandpaper, and attach the eye to the plastic. A drop of superglue makes a much better bond than the stickie back. Then tie the other small tapered end of the plastic strip down at the head of the fly. To get the eye further back in the fly, just lengthen the tear drop and cut to fit.

I use water proof super glue, like zap-a-gap.

I like both ideas, particularly the one with the plastic "foundation"

kinda depends on what the eyes will be mounted to

please specify or post a photo on what kind of streamer you are tying

Put a tiny drop of gel super glue on fly where eye is being attached. Postilion the eye onto th glue using the point of a bodkin or needle. Use other end of needle to press down on the eye and secure it. DONE.

Actually that makes it sound harder than it should.

Short answer: Just super glue 'em on.

PennKev wrote:
Put a tiny drop of gel super glue on fly where eye is being attached. Postilion the eye onto th glue using the point of a bodkin or needle. Use other end of needle to press down on the eye and secure it. DONE.

Actually that makes it sound harder than it should.

Short answer: Just super glue 'em on.

+1 ^ on the superglue

Also, (after the superglue) you can get real sexy and apply UV goop over and around the eyes and zap it to finish off the head.

I used to use gel superglue. But I found get some brush able uv glue dab the thread base and position the eye. Hit it with the light just to stick them. Then coat head with same uv resin to fill it in and snot hedges of the eyes. Top it with sallies and your golden.

Super glue sometimes just softens adhesive on the back of the eyes and first bond with it. The uv is money.

^ +1 I love the UV stuff. Sally hansen's is not a glue and will therefore not actually stick (a common misconception about head cements).

If you do it the way PACO does you'll have bulletproof streamers.

Wow auto correct took me for snot hedges ride!

So Snot Hedges...is that like chumming? :>

I imagined nose shaped bushes, but each his own :)

snot hedges = nose hozzle

Snot hedges = around the edges

Thanks to all. The innovation and engineering abilities in this board is pretty impressive.

I use some tulip clear or pearl puffy paint, its waterproof, takes longer to completely dry but you can play with the positioning longer. you can get a soft version or hard type. soft one makes for a nice chewy head the fish seem to like. it last forever in a bottle too.

Attachments

• DSCF9267 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF9267 (400x300).jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2
another way I do is use goop

Back