Need Some Suggestions

SNJChef

SNJChef

Looking to pick up some flies for my daughter who is 11 yrs old. She just started to enjoy fly fishing using an egg pattern. Would like to pick up some more flies for her to make a small box. What would you suggest as a good easy fly for a kid? using an indicator or not? If anyone makes what they suggest I would purchase them from you. We fish the NE pa area.

Thanks

When I first started, I would use patterns like the Royal Wulff or Adams (I still use these patterns). They work on a lot of streams in a lot of conditions, and they're pretty visible (especially the Wulff). They're great flies to learn dry fly presentation with, in my opinion.

I also used phesant tail nymphs and prince nymphs in the beginning. I use indicator a lot w/ nymphs.

I found this thread to be very helpful about how to approach fly fishing in the beginning.

I really think the answer to this depends alot more on what you are fishing for and where you are fishing than on the age of the child. Obviously more visible flys will help her out, but if she's not catching fish she might soon loose interest. So I guess my answer to your question would be to get her flys that are known to work on the water you are fishing.
The last Orvis podcast was on the topic of getting kids interested in fly fishing. I have not listened to it yet, but it might be worth a listen: http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=4047

I would suggest the same flies that you are using.

or

Wooly "no wrong way to fish it" bugger.

Back