Need some advice

Flyfishmedic732

Flyfishmedic732

I find myself tying a bit more than I usually do. I was wondering when it comes to hackeling for drys is it better to be a little more sparse or a little more on the heavier side??? I have trouble with drys.....

Personally I like it sparse, but that's just me. Tying them on the full side isn't bad though. You can always use your nippers to trim some fibers off while on stream if necessary. A little tougher to add more fibers streamside if you get my drift.

In slow water sparse patterns are often more attractive to the fish, in fast water heavy hackle will help it stay afloat and the fish won't be as picky. It depends on the specific hatch too, and where you like to fish. There is no right answer here.

I tie mayfly imitations very spare. I think it allows the fly to sit down on the water. The attractor I use for natives (Royal Wulff) are hackled quite heavily because I want the fly to ride high.

In slow water sparse patterns are often more attractive to the fish, in fast water heavy hackle will help it stay afloat and the fish won't be as picky. It depends on the specific hatch too, and where you like to fish. There is no right answer here.

I would say tie them both ways so you have flies for different situations.

I think sparsely hackled flies work better. Usually make 1-2 turns behind the wing, and 3-4 turns in the front, at most.
I also use smaller size hackle than the traditional 1.5 to 2 times the hook gap - by going with one that's the same length as the hook gap.

I do t he same as mentioned above. In slow water I use less hackle on my flies and in fast water I use more to help the fly stay on top.

Back