Need some advice on new vice

Redfin

Redfin

My Thompson needed replacement so I bought a griffin cam vise.
Found I don't really need the rotary and loved the vice other than I felt cramped tying on it. I sent it back.
Now I'm looking again and want to stick with a tradition shape similar to the Thompson.

So I been looking at hmh spartan, regal, dyna king kingfisher.
I have felt them but for the spartan. Regals are neat but I don't like the constant pressure and all the reviews on the web I have come across on chipped jaws and hook spitting.

The kingfisher felt reallyreally solid. But I like to tie clousers and sometimes tilt the head down horizontal to tie. So idk if clousers are hard to tie with head up and 45 degree angle or not. Never tried it. King fisher don't do that. They are set angle unfortunately. But I really like how solid that vise was.
I also tie bass and crappie jigs often.
Any advice will be a help thanks!

Dyna-King has a few you can check them out
Professional
Voyager
Supreme
https://www.dyna-king.com/product-category/conventional-vises/

HMH is not bad either.

Both have that Thompson feel and not rotary.
Good Luck

I like being able to rotate the vice around. But don't need or want true rotary. Thanks for the link

I just came across another. Griffin superior 3arp vice. Kinda what I'm looking for also and cheaper. I really loved the jaws and holding power on my griffin. The design was just too tight n I felt cramped tying on it.

Griffin 3arp is the first vise I paid for, about $80 at the time. One of its features is adjustable extensions. You could point the jaws vertically if you wanted to. It is a larger head than the Oddyssey Spider.

At one time Griffin sold an Oddyssey conversion kit so you could turn your 3arp into a full rotary with the smaller jaws. I bought one and just repurposed an extension from the 3arp, and after my brother fashioned a home made coupler, I had 2 Griffin vises (after adding a generic pedestal base).

I took to the rotary and smaller jaws right away, so the 3arp now sits idle. Every once in a great while I tie on it and almost immediately recall why I prefer full rotary.

Thanks for the info DCG the jaws on my odyssey cam was pretty small. Smaller than I had expected.

I was researching today and came across a griffin patriot. It looked awesome! I don't see that they make it anymore. That would have been a sweet vise. I like there cam set up and the way The patriot was made with the features I want I would have bought one. Maybe I can try to find ones somewhere used at a good price. Thansk

I suggest a regal but that would be for any vise request.

But given your requirements maybe the renzetti apprentice would work nice for you?

https://www.internationalangler.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2H5X-00-00&gclid=CjwKEAjw2qzHBRChloWxgoXDpyASJAB01Io0TVY8y1ER4RpUxAPMsTC41N33GQewpHZ7oVxFEU-SThoCX_nw_wcB

Back