Need Reel Help- Orvis vs Sage

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Looking at the Orvis Access Mid-Arbor or the Sage 2200 Large Arbor fly reels. I am putting it on my Hardy 10 foot 4 weight. They are comparably priced. I own a few Orvis (CFO, Battenkill, and a large arbor). Any insights are appreciated.

PS. I like adjustable drags and to hear the click when I reel line in.

I've used a Sage 2250. I liked the reel and found it a good buy at that price. The drag works well and the knob has numbered adjustments and detent. It retrieves line at a good rate as well, which I like when putting a fish on the reel.

The only downside I found was it was a little heavy compared to the reels I normally use (Galvan).

I cannot comment on the Orvis.

I have the Orvis Access for my 5 wt and I love it. It's not to bulky and it makes the road balance great. The drag also has the adjustment numbers and seems like it can stop a truck if need be. It works very smooth and also picks up line at a great speed. This sounds a lot like Brookies report on the Sage, but i can't comment on the Sage either because I have never used it. The Orvis does come in the sweet looking gold though!

Access would be my choice. Either way, both companies stand behind their products.

I got a Access last year. It's a nice well made reel but I recall someone complaining about the drag in subfreezing temps.

I just picked up an Access in a II. Really like it. Some sizes don't come in gold anymore, but there is a new color, black nickel. I'll second what Kobalt said, drag seems like its super strong if you turn it all the way up.

You may have already read our latest shootout: http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2015-5-weight-reel-shootout-fly-reel-review-and-test-best-trout-reel-lamson-hatch-abel-ross

The two reels that you are considering are definitely the best in class. For a 10' rod, I'd go with the 2250 which will balance better, just don't drop it too much.

Back