Need new chest waders

scs_browntrout

scs_browntrout

My current waders are Grey's and I love them but they leak now in 20 inches of water I searched and cannot find them anymore I remember buying them at the Yellow Breeches Angler shop in boiling springs.

So I am looking for year round chest waders that's breathable and has double layer reinforcement at the knees, any thoughts on what you have and bought and would you buy online or try them in a store.

Lastly price would be $150- 300, and has to be the bootie style.

scs

Simms

Agree simms are the way to go. I've been cheap on waders when I started out and they leaked with in 6 months. I got a pair of the headwater pros on ebay for $220.00 shipped. Brand new. I've had them about a year and no issues. I like to support local shops but at that price? Great deal.

Simms are definitely the best, however I think there are some other brands out there that can compete with Simms in the lower priced waders. My recommendations are

1. Simms - Definitely the best high end waders
2. Orvis - I think their high end competes with Simms G 3's (Maybe)
3. Patagonia - Good waders with a better warranty
4. DRYFT - Get a lot for the price
5. Redington - Always have been steady for the money
6. Store Brands - Cabelas/Bass Pro/Field and Stream - Okay for the cost but not as much technology put into the material or the fit.

Is anyone using waist high style?

When I wear waders, (which hasn't been in eons) I only go with waist highs as I never wade that deep.

I wear waist high when I fish mountain streams. I have the Simms Freestones and the Patagonia ones.

I have DRYFT waist high’s. Like them a lot. Decent price. Haven’t had them long enough to compare their durability to the Simms though.

I've got 15+ years on my Simms Rivershed II waders. Same on a set of Cloudveil Crystal Creek wading pants.

Hey guys what about this style, now you got me thinking about waist highs hmm, I usually fish in about 3 foot and less, I like the comfort but when it comes to bathroom breaks its a pain.

https://slumberjack.com/deadfall-z-zippered-stft-wader/

scs_browntrout wrote:
...I usually fish in about 3 foot and less, I like the comfort but when it comes to bathroom breaks its a pain...
Obviously if you need waders, you need waders but have you given any thought to also owning stocking-foot hip boots when & where they would work?

I wet wade 99% of the time except the dead of winter, but in the winter when I am usually in familiar water and not wading deep, I am in hippers.

They are way more comfortable, bathroom breaks are a breeze and why wear waders when the water isn't deep?

I like their guide pants but having never owned a pair I can’t give testimonial. I’m thinking they’ll be great for warmth when launching/rowing winter drift boat
scs_browntrout wrote:
me, but may be a change.

scs
Baron wrote:
Is anyone using waist high style?

scs_browntrout wrote:
Hey guys what about this style, now you got me thinking about waist highs hmm, I usually fish in about 3 foot and less, I like the comfort but when it comes to bathroom breaks its a pain.

For that price how can you go wrong. If they suck and you're not really happy with them keep them as a back up pair. I might get a pair to check them out.

Bamboozle

not bad not bad may consider either that style or waist highs

thanks

Bamboozle wrote:
scs_browntrout wrote:
...I usually fish in about 3 foot and less, I like the comfort but when it comes to bathroom breaks its a pain...
Obviously if you need waders, you need waders but have you given any thought to also owning stocking-foot hip boots when & where they would work?

I wet wade 99% of the time except the dead of winter, but in the winter when I am usually in familiar water and not wading deep, I am in hippers.

They are way more comfortable, bathroom breaks are a breeze and why wear waders when the water isn't deep?

I'm in... thanks
mattwolf wrote:
scs_browntrout wrote:

For that price how can you go wrong. If they suck and you're not really happy with them keep them as a back up pair. I might get a pair to check them out.

search

hopefully this came through, i went with a pair of orvis silver sonic chest waders i bought them online just under $200

scs

I wear Simms waist high for 90% of my fishing and break out Simms chest for the balance.

Last pair of Simms Freestone waist high's had a strange fit for me and unlike the first pair. I need to replace due to leaking and may go to Simms Guide pants this time. Hopefully a little heavier built and more sizing options.

I bought those same Greys from Yellow Breeches. After about a year, they leaked everywhere and somehow I got a new pair at the Lancaster Greys distributor. These totally failed eventually. Soaked inside. Almost died of exposure, I swear. Now have Patagonia but these have gone back to factory once. I guess I’m hard on them. Maybe Simms next.

I wear these very cost effective waders.

https://www.piscifun.com/products/piscifun-breathable-chest-waders-fly-fishing-waterproof-stocking-foot-waders

I quite like them .

Back