Need help with ID of old bamboo rod

pabrookie94

pabrookie94

Hello, my friends dad has a bamboo rod that looks pretty nice and it is old and he wants to know the value of it and basically where it came from.

The rod comes in a bag that says Lyon & Corilson Buffalo NY on it and it is a 2 piece rod with a light tip and a medium tip. On the rod it is labelled as L&C Regent #0101.

Please let me know if you have any information on this rod and I will relay it to his dad. Thanks!

Here you go....

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

By all means post a question to the site above, but you should know that it's "Lyon & Coulson" They didn't make their own rods; most were made for them by Heddon.

"Regent" is the grade; it doesn't tell us how long the rod is or what line size it was made for.

I am sorry guys...that is literally all of the info that he gave me.

It's a Heddon rod. If it's a 2-piece, it's either a light fly rod or a spinning rod (only made in 1952, but out there.)

The Regent is a good grade, equivalent to Model 20 in Heddon. Heddon tapers are very well designed as fly fishing tools. If that's a legit 2-piece L&C Regent fly rod with two full length tips in fishable condition, it's worth upwards of $800.

It's worth a lot less if sections are short. Lots of bamboo rods break 1"-3" from their tip, for predictable (and also often avoidable) reasons. Heddons have the additional tendency to snap right at the midsection ferrule, unfortunately. It has to do with how some of them were manufactured. They were a mass produced brand, and have some sketchy quirks, some models more than others. Always a good idea to get the ferrules unpinned, pulled, cleaned, and re-glued on as part of re-commissioning one for use.
Heddons also often have varnish problems: they were mass-finished with spray-on varnish in a humid climate- Michigan- and the stuff just bleeds like crazy out of most of the old unrestored ones. Usually easy enough to take care of with some auto scratch polish (Scratch-X, Meguiar's) and a cleaning cloth, but you have to be careful with the wraps.

The old cane rods are often a project to restore, depending on how much work is needed and whether you just want to get them fishable or you want them to gleam. But Heddons are some of the best tapers out there, in my opinion. If that's a 7 1/2' 3/4F ferrule or a 7' 0F ferrule rod, it's a neat little dry fly rod. Especially the 7', which is a very nice old-school light-presentation rod.
Some people like the Heddon bamboo spinning rods, too. 6 1/2' or 7', on the light side of medium action. Sliding ring grip. Rare, but worth a lot less than the fly rods.
If the tips are broken- or even if the mid is broken- it's possible to have them repaired, or "scarfed" to return them to full length with an angle splice and glue. A well-done repair can duplicate the taper and tip measurements quite closely, and modern glues can make the repairs stronger than the the original section.

LOL, I just happened to have unearthed my old collection of cane rods from storage. I'd forgotten how many nice ones I have. Too bad they all need at least a little work- I'm probably going to contact Dave Male down in NC- he's a Heddon nut who restores these and also makes his own well-regarded tapers.

Back