Need help on a kid rod

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Well I was out this weekend with my son trying to teach him something about fly fishing. He is 6 yrs old, 52" and about 55lbs. Which I think is tall for his age.

I had him stripping buggers in and tried to teach him the roll cast figuring it would be the easiest and most versatile. Things went ok for our first time but obviously getting him to snap his arm with a 5wt and get a decent roll with an 8'6" rod was very difficult.

I was wondering what size rod everyone thought might be appropriate for him to handle but not become useless in my own future yet cost is a major factor.

I was leaning towards a 3wt 6'6" if I can find a combo pack at Cabelas or an equivalent. I did browse the internet and found zero in that size. The closest was a 3wt 7'6" do you think that is to much rod?

I've got a 6 year old i'm starting this spring as well. I started a thread not too long ago aobut this - do a search. THere was some good advice given. I think the goal here is - get a short rod for them to use appropriate for their size ....and when they are old enough for that 4 or 5wt, you now have a small stream rod (heheh)

When my son was 5 we went to Ole Bull and bought him a 7.5' 3-4 wt rod A cortland GL "just add water" bubble pack at the Oleana (I think) store.

He handled it very well after some instruction and even caught a couple fish on cahill dries i a riffle just over the bank from our campsite. It was a very exciting time for him when we were up there tying flies as he casted from a grassy bank and the fish hit the fly....Of course he didn't know what to do and we had to jump over the bank and help him with the landing part.

I would think that a 7'6" 4 wt. would be perfect.
It would last him for quite a few years, and be a versitile rod later in life.

Was hoping gzacckey would have chimed in here - he's very experienced in teaching young kids, and in speaking to him about it, I have to say I am impressed with his logic.

That said, that 7'6" 3wt Three Forks Cabela's rod is a really sweet little rod. There's always one in my truck, so if we ever get together to fish, you'd be welcome to use it. That would be my choice for a 6yr old to start with.

Heritage, I’ve been sick since Wednesday but I’m here to do my part.

I don’t think the 7.5’, 3wt. rod is too long and it will serve him nicely over the years.

My oldest grandson started fly fishing at age 5. He will be 7 in April. He was using an 8.5’, 3wt. last year. Since he’ll be fishing streams like the Tully I didn’t want to go much shorter. I did start him on a 5’, 2wt when he was five simply because I had it and the shorter length was easier for him to walk with and not bump into every tree and bush. The 5 footer was fine for casting to gills in a pond but I wouldn’t consider rods of 7’ or shorter to be a good general purpose rod for the streams I fish. His younger brother fly fished (well sort of) last year a couple of times. He’ll be using a 7.5’, 3wt. this year. After my experience with his older brother I think that is a nice starting length for a rod. It will be a Three Forks rod like the one heritage was speaking about. That rod loads very nicely and it’s very inexpensive.

The other thing you may want to try is playing casting games in your backyard or pool (if you have one). This will help him to improve his casting tempo. You’ll be amazed at how much faster they can improve than adults. Just get yourself some cones or targets of some sort then some friendly competition. Another thing I did initially was over line the rod to make it easier load and improve the feel of the cast.

Good Luck and enjoy your time together. Oh, of course, always bring plenty of snacks and let the child dictate when it’s time to quit fishing.

I built my daughter (7 year old) a 5’8” 5 wt. I like a 5wt better than a 3 or 4 wt she can feel the rod loading and can concentrate more on casting. If she gets tired she also likes to cast a 4’9” DT 4 wt. which is a little lighter but can still feel the rod loading. I was having her cast with an 8’ 4wt last summer and the rod was long and heavy for her after a few casts.

Joe E

Back