Need Help ID'ing this Rod

Raff

Raff

So I know this is an Orvis rod, but as you can see from the pic it is missing the butt section that normally said Superfine or Far & Fine. So after sending pics to the guys at Orvis, they concluded that it was a Superfine and sent me a $12 butt cap to epoxy on there. Well, the cap arrives, and it's no dice. Now I'm wondering if it is a Far & Fine. So please help me out here. It's 7'6" long, and in 2 pieces. That's about all I know about it.

Butt section with missing cap.

I'm looking to get this thing rehabbed up so I can sell it. I have my eyes on some other gear.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Raff

from gay bay

Orvis "Far & Fine" 7'9" fly rod for a 5 weight line

Attachments

• 120558626453.jpg
    120558626453.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 4
Okay, so here's what I'm thinking. After doing a bit more research, I think what it might be is a Far & Fine 5wt (loaded it up and lawn cast it. 5wt feels about right) that used to be a 7'9" but has a broken tip "home repair" that makes it now 7'6".

So if I wanted to get this thing in nice shape and replace the top section, what would that set me back?

I've never owned an Orvis anything, so I don't know the ways of the big-O.

Since you're in West Chester, I'd ride over to the Orvis store in Downingtown. I've had nothing but great service from them and they could probably help you get that rod up and running. Can't hurt...

I've got a 9' 7wt orvis western deschutes rod (top one in the pic)
that is still my favorite steelhead rod. Has the same spiral blank and color along with the same wraps. don't know your exact model, but late '80s era is likely what you are looking at.

Attachments

• P2030253.JPG
    P2030253.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 5
Okay, so here's what I'm thinking. After doing a bit more research, I think what it might be is a Far & Fine 5wt (loaded it up and lawn cast it. 5wt feels about right) that used to be a 7'9" but has a broken tip "home repair" that makes it now 7'6".

What makes you think that? Are the butt and tip sections different lengths? If they are the same length, I doubt that the rod was broken.

I think the most likely explanation is that they sent you a butt cap that doesn't fit the reel seat used on that particular rod. Orvis made the Far & Fines and Superfines for a long time. It's likely they changed the hardware a few times.

Can you post a pic of the cap they sent you showing how it doesn't fit?

Also, what are you looking to do to "rehab" the rod?

Kev

Back