Need help finding fishing locations in York, PA

B

blakew510

I live in York County, PA, and just started fly fishing in the fall of 2015. Does anybody know any good places to fish? I have been to allenberry at the yellow breeches and muddy creek but if anyone has any other places to fly fish at the breeches or anywhere else near york county that I will catch any sized trout at please let me know what stream and where to enter thank you

I fish mainly wilds if you wanna get out sometime.

I lived in York in the mid 60's-- you are within reasonable driving range of many good streams-some great ones but I got the urge to saddle up and moved West-- don't know your situation but if free and you get the urge-go for it-no regerts[I was eating a snickers]

Sounds like hes pretty new being that he only fished the YB and Muddy(FFO im guessing)

You can fly fish other steams they don't have to be FFO :)

Hi Blake,

There is over 9 miles of stocked water in the Muddy Creek Watershed including the North and South Branches. In additionto the smaller tribs that may be stocked or hold wild trout, there is also the Codorus watershed including the east and south branches there is more than enough to keep you busy learning the local waters within a 15-30 min drive from York.

Tomoro night the Muddy Creek Chapter of TU is having our General Meeting at the Meadow Hill Restaurant. See the Events and Meet Ups forum for details.

By comimg to one of our meetings you will meet our avid fly fishing members who are more than happy to share their knowledge of the local fishing access. Participating in the stream stocking by the PF&BC as well as the MCTU Coop nursery and the Izaac Walton will also take you to places you can be assured will have access.

Once you learn your way around the stocked waters of York County you will be in a great position to branch out into the wild trout opportunities the county has to offer.

Good luck and hope to see you tomoro night or on stream sometime.

Maurice I'm going to try to stop by. I'm not going to make it till 7ish after work hope there's still room.

Cool Shane look forward to meeting you.

Blake...in addition to Maurice's great advice, you might also want to take a look at the special regs area on the Codorus near Porters Sideling (between Spring Grove and Hanover). It's not stocked but holds a good population of wild browns. There's a TU chapter out there too (visit codorustu.org) and you're welcome to come to our meetings and tap into the knowledge of our members. We're always happy to help someone who is just getting started.

Once the trout season officially opens in SE Pa, you will have many choices in York Co's greater Muddy Creek and greater Codorus Creek basins. A number of the stocked trout streams harbor small populations of wild trout as well, as do their wooded tributaries. The Muddy Creek basin tributaries are more reliable than those in the Codorus basin, but the Codorus basin does support some wild trout tribs. Check out the Pa list of wild trout streams and view those in York Co. Stocked trout sections should be included if they also support wild trout. You will have to do some homework comparing lists.

Back