Need a budget bass fly line

HopBack

HopBack

Hey guys the wife bought me a new 7wt Redington path fly rod for Christmas and I was looking for a new fly line to go with the rod, I predominantly fish the Susquehanna and use large heavily weighted streamers and poppers. I tend to beat my fly lines up on the river so I would wasted an expensive line, I just need something that will turn over heavier flies well and most of my applications have all been with floating line,

I was looking at the SA frequency magnum line. Looking to stay under $50. Thanks for your input.

That magnum line should work fine for you. I have a sa frequency trout line in 7w I just picked up for $29 at a gander mountain. If your interested let me know.

I prefer to stay away from the heavy bass tapers because your ability to mend the line on the water and in the air is reduced. I like tapers like the mpx or Rio gold because they'll give you the punch you want but you'll still have good line control.

-Sal, PM sent

-Mwheaps

That’s some great input about the bass lines, I run rio gold on my trout setups and it performs admirably. I just know I would destroy it on the rocks in the matter of a season, I’ll have to look the the 7wt trout lines.

Hop,
You must have been a good boy this year! Hope Susquehanna bass fishing is better in 2020, than it was the last 2 years.
Good luck,
Ken

You must have been a good boy this year! Hope Susquehanna bass fishing is better in 2020, than it was the last 2 years.

I hope so too, I'll be trying again next year. I'll let you know if I get on anything good, but I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time this year fishing for striper below the Conowingo. You should try that out with us sometime.

I had good luck for a while with Cabelas Prestige Plus WW lines. It was the middle range series of their FF line at the time. I think it retailed for $40-ish. I think it was another product rebadge (SA maybe?), but don't remember. I felt I got good life out of those and they did well with turning over WB's and Clousers and stuff...I was fishing it on a 6WT FWIW.

Don't think they make it any more, but I'm sure there's some similar product in the Cabelas/BPS house line of products now.

I've tried 2 frequency lines and didn't like them all that much. You might be able to find an old SA GPX in 7 or 8 weight for cheap. You'd probably be better off overlining that rod rather than underlining it. If you want one of those Cabela's WW lines, I know a guy with a bunch. Shoot me a PM.

HopBack wrote:
Hey guys the wife bought me a new 7wt Redington path fly rod for Christmas and I was looking for a new fly line to go with the rod, I predominantly fish the Susquehanna and use large heavily weighted streamers and poppers. I tend to beat my fly lines up on the river so I would wasted an expensive line, I just need something that will turn over heavier flies well and most of my applications have all been with floating line,

I was looking at the SA frequency magnum line. Looking to stay under $50. Thanks for your input.

Orvis owns SA. I would guess the Orvis Clearwater @ $49 is the same thing as the SA line. CW is a little heavier weight and will work well to turn over bass flies and poppers.

looked like they had several lines on the orvis outlet site on sale for 29 bucks. Might be a challenge matching size but worth a look. I bought my sinking salt line there a few years back for 20 bucks. If rocks are a problem for you, you might want to try a saltwater line as they have a pretty decent coating on them.

Thanks guys,

All good suggestions. I'm going to start off with a Cortland bass taper line that Sal was nice enough to hook me up with. I'll see how that goes,

Most on here have suggested a "trout" taper over a "bass" taper and I believe that is the consensus of online reviews for these types of lines as well.

I'll check out the local orvis outlet for some lines and I'll see about a saltwater line as well.

Again thanks for all the input and suggestions, I def have something to go on now.

That Cortland should keep you happy for a while. They're still the best bargain at full price.

i use crystal river fly line for bass,
i get it for around $8.

i do have a preference for level line.

Back