Naugatuck and Farmington River

mute

mute

Hello All,

Im taking a weekend trip to Gentiles campground in Connectitcut this weekend. Will be fishing all day Saturday and will be targeting the Naugatuck and Farmington rivers.

We are located right in the middle of the upper and lower section of the Naugatuck. About a 12 minute drive to get to each section. From what ive read it looks like trout and salmon are present in the naugatuck. Im not sure if one section is better then the other but from what i read i believe the upper section running through the mattatuck forest is more remote, scenic with the river being alot more wadable because of its smaller size. Ive also heard that they dont stock the lower section with salmon as widely as the past like they did throughough the Naugatuck state forest. Not sure if thats true.

As for the farmington ive assuming wed hit what i read as the best section being the west branch between Riverton and New Hartford.

To be honest the biggest river ive fished for trout would be the Delaware river in NY. So im not sure how these compare in terms of size and difficulty and gear required(6-8wt?).

Also i fanyone has any advice for my buddy and I to hopefully be able to catch a fish or two on these two waters that would be appreciated. Im assuming your normal stockie and fall\winter flies would be appropriate with perhaps streamers or bigger patterns for the Naugatuck.

Wouldnt mind hitting some smaller wild brooks too if there are any close by for a different experience as well (still doing some research).

Back