Native Brookies-Nothing Personal...

gaeronf

gaeronf

Hey. I know a bunch of you fish for natives. I, on the other hand, haven't even fished for a wild, let alone a native. I don't really have an idea of what I am getting into. I have my suspicions about 1 little stream, so I am not going to ask you for locations (I wouldn't anyway). Here's the Q: What do you guys normally fish? Dries? Nymphs? Streamers? And in what sizes...Thanks a bunch

Gaeron

Thats a really tough question without knowing a general description of the situation. Is it a large fertile limestoner in high flows in the spring, a tiny infertile freestoner in low flows of mid-summer? It's tough to tell you a one size fits all situation. But, I'll do my best to describe my thoughts, just realize that these are guidelines, not rules, and yes, I do on occasion violate my own guidelines.

Small, infertile wild trout streams: Generally these are brookie streams, but not always. Anyway, I do dry flies 90% of the time in these situations. Fish are aggressive and hit just about anything, but often spooky. A dry allows you to fish from a greater distance, and float over obstructions and stuff. About the only time I go underneath is in wintertime (say, November through the first of May), or on those situations where you get that super deep pool where they're tough to bring up. I generally fish a size 12 or 14, and for the dries, something that floats high, as you won't get many backcasts to dry the fly, and something that is visible, that you can see in heavy current.

Larger, more fertile streams: Generally these are brown trout streams, but not always. In more fertile water, the fish tend to be pickier, and require putting it closer to them in the drift, they don't "chase" as much. I probably do 80% of my fishing with nymphs, sometimes indicatorless, sometimes with a dry-dropper or indicator. I go on top when the fish show on top. Fly size and pattern varies considerably in an attempt to match naturals.

Winter, or high-muddy water: For me, this is where streamers come into play.

My stream is a little tiny freestoner, with out many stones. It converges downstream with a stream that holds wild trout. That's why I think trout have come up. Plus, I do see, on occasion, 5-6" things swimming through the water. I am pretty skeptical because I never see them rise. Hm. What specific "searching" pattern would you use? Or, what would you do, if in my shoes?

I'd first check if its on the natural reproduction list. But if it's close and easy, I'd probably try it either way. Those fish may or may not be brookies, they could be chubs. I'd probably throw on a parachute adams, or a humpy, and go give it a shot. You should be able to catch em whatever they are, and, well, then you'll know! I'd probably start off small, like a 16 or an 18, just so you can catch a few of the dinks and see what they are. If they're trout, then I'd move up to a 14 or a 12 to try to find the bigger ones. The little guys will still hit it, but wont' get it in their mouths, so you won't hook em. It is quite possible they're trout, but there are no bigger ones too. Which would mean you either stay small and target the dinks, or else you just go to another stream.

I have seen natural rises on these streams, but it isn't always that way and its not really necessary. If you put a fly on top of them before you spook them, they'll hit. Don't sight fish, once you see them, you are probably seeing darts, and its pretty much over at that point, go onto the next hole.

I tried for an hour or so, but with no luck. I didn't even see a fish. I had on an olive extended body size 14. So maybe I'll go down to and 18 next time. Thanks for all your help! Also, the slow water seems to slow, but the fast water seems to fast, and has too many elavation changes. How will this effect the fishing?

Generally, gradient is good. But just generally, plenty of bad high gradient streams and good low gradient.

I dunno man, typically if its not on the natural repro list, and I fail to turn up fish, I assume it has none.

use a size 14 adams parachute. If you don't get any bites on that, there are no brookies in the stream or you are spookin them.

Agree with pcray, you wont always see them rise but if they are in there they will hit. Brookies are hungry, aggressive, opportunistic, feeders because they have to be to survive. I also agree with BPS.

What if they were, say, browns? How would the approach differ?

Didn't read all of the posts or nor do I have a TON of native Brookie experience, but I've always been under the impression that Brookies, if not spooked, are very opportunistic feeders and will eat pretty much anything looks like food.

It's not like the Upper D where fish see a plethora of assorted aquatic insects and can be picky beyond imagination. Brookie streams tend to have less food and fish use every chance they can to eat.

I'd say being stealthy is more important than 'matching the hatch'. My Brookie experiences have taught me that I thought I was quite, but reality when I wade/walk I must sounds like a semi rolling down the road.

With browns, I'd probably be a little more careful about timing, morning/evening type thing. I'd also be more likely to nymph instead of use a dry unless I saw natural rises, likely a dry-dropper rig or something.

I've never fished those tiny streams for browns but would be very interested in doing so. I was just looking at a video that pcray posted in another thread and could not believe the size of the brown that guy pulled out of that tiny stream I couldn't help but wonder how it got that big in that small of a stream.

pcray, what do you look for to find a small brownie stream like that? I dont have any problems finding brookie streams but I think that has a lot to do with my area. If you are uncomfortable posting about it I understand.

csoult.

What post had the video, I am interested in viewing it. Thanks,

Gaeron

General forum "super small stream native fishing"

Pcray has given great advice. I will just add my two cents that I think stealth is by far the most important thing to concern yourself with. If you can get a fly to them before they know you're there you are golden.

My personal small stream favorite is the Skilton quick-sight ant size 16 and up to pick out the bigger fish or size 18 if you wanna get the dinks too. floats high and has a white dot on the front which makes it really easy for you to see. Even works on the pickiest browns. And if you tie at all, it's just a piece of foam with a bit of hackle wrapped around the middle, very simple.

Personally I would concentrate on the fast water. If you can sneak up on some fast water from upstream, you can flick the ant downstream into the current and if it doesn't get hit on the way down, you can slowly skid it back up through the same spots and use the current to swing it right up against rocks that a nice trout could be hiding under. Sometimes in the fast water they just don't see it the first time through. If you can make this kind of approach without being seen you can give yourself as many chances for them to see it as you like with only one cast. In this situation the white dot really helps you keep track of where the fly is. I've caught 7" brookies from fast water less than 6" deep doing this.

Speaking of video. I have quite a few video clips of me fishing for brookies. I'll look to see if any might be helpful and if so I'll get them to you in a PM.

PSUFishMenace wrote:

Personally I would concentrate on the fast water.

I don't fish over a ton of wild trout but I would 2nd this too. There have been a couple times that I was fishing small streams (with wild browns) and it was getting later into the summer. The water was lower and clear making stealth imperative. I was so fixated on fishing the slow pools with dries that I didn't keep my mind open to a strategy change. Both times, the person I was with caught fish out of the fast broken water and all I did was put down every pool as soon as I stuck my head up over the bank.

This May, while everything was blown out, I walked a brookie stream in SWPA that looked unfishable because of the high flows. I tied on a large tungsten head black bugger and flipped it into the torrent. Sure enough, within seconds, a brook hit it.

I guess what I'm saying is its good to have a plan with these spooky fish but keep an open mind on how you approach them. They're addicting.

Gaeron, here's one clip I have, this will give you an idea of how easily you can spook natives. This is the smallest stream I have seen trout in, I was crawling on all fours holding the camera in front of me, you can see once my head popped around that plant he took off. Watch in HD if you can, kinda hard to pick out the trout before it moves in normal quality.

Back